Notable Generals and Others...

 Historical facts about Generals, other distinguished soldiers
(from privates on up), and civilians who made a difference.

Past Commanding General's of 2nd Armored Division:

MG Charles L. Scott July 1940 - Nov. 1940
General George S. Patton, Jr. Nov. 1940 - Jan. 1942
LG Willis D Crittenberger, (died 4 August 1980) Jan. 1942 - July 1942
MG Ernest N. Harmon July 1942 - 6 April 1943
BG Allen F. Kingman (died 14 April 1988) to 5 May 1943
MG Hugh J. Gaffney (killed in plane crash 16 June 1946) to 17 Mar. 1944
MG Edward H. Brooks to 12 Sept 1944
MG Ernest N. Harmon to 19 Jan 1945
Gen. I.D. White to 8 June 1945
BG John H. Collier to 4 Sept. 1945
MG John M. Devine to 24 Mar. 1946
MG John W. Leonard to Oct. 1946
MG Leland S. Hobbs to Aug. 1947
MG James G Christiansen Sept. 1947 - 28 June 1949
CG . MG Albert C Smith to 1 Nov. 1950
MG Williston B Palmer was CG of the 2nd Armored Division when it was reactivated becoming CO til 24 November 1951
MG Charles K. Gailey Jr. to 3 April 1952
MG George W. Read Jr. to April 1953
MG Leander L. Doan to 20 Jan. 1955
MG Clark Ruffner to 5 April 1956
MG Conrad S. Babcock Jr. to 1 June 1957
MG Wilhelm P. Johnson to 30 Oct. 1958
MG Earle G. Wheeler to 1 April 1960
MG Edward G. Farrand to 1 July 1961
MG William H.S. Wright to 13 Feb. 1963
MG Edwin H. Burba to Aug. 1964
Gen. George Mather Sept. 1964 - July 1965
MG John E. Kelly to 3 July 1967
MG Joseph A. McChristian to 22 July 1969
MG Leonard C. Shea to 1 Nov. 1969
MG Wendell J. Coats to 3 Aug. 1971
MG George L. Cantlay to 16 July 1973
MG Robert L. Fair to 5 Aug.1975
MG George S. Patton III to 3 Nov. 1977
MG Charles P. Graham to 6 Feb. 1980
MG Richard L. Prillaman to July 1982
MG John W. Woodmansee to 20 Aug.1984
MG Richard A. Scholtes to 24 June 1986
MG Roger J. Price to 24 June 1988
MG Glynn C Mallory Jr. to June 1990
MG Phillip Mallory July 1990
MG Jared L. Bate Sept. 1993 - 7 May 1994
MG Robert S. Coffey until 2nd Armored Division was deflagged
15 Dec.1995

 Johnson, Briard  (Gen) : (Died 1980) was CG of CCB from 1950-1953.

Palmer, Charles D. (Gen) : ( died 7 June 1999 ) In Mar. 1944 he became chief of staff for the 2nd Armored Div., participated in the Normandy Invasion. He served in 6 campaigns in WW 2. also served in Korea as  commander of the 1st Cavalry Div. Graduated from West Point in 1924. 

2nd Armored Congressional Medal of Honor Holders: WW 2 (2nd Armored Division). Capt. James M. Burt from Mass., 13 Oct. 1944. Sgt. Hulon B. Whittington,, LA., 29 July 1944. ( Dec. in 60's )

Alenus, Willy. To friends of the US 82nd Armored Recce Battl. (Colonel Wheeler MERRIAM) our liberators in the triangle Hasselt - Maaseik – Maastricht (Sept. 44) . My name is Willy D. F. ALENUS. I was born in Hasselt, on 5 October 1932. On 7 September 1944, when you arrived in Hasselt, I was 11 years and 11 months young. But I was NOT physically in Hasselt in September 1944. On the 11th you crossed the Albert Canal at Beeringen and started conquering the area within the above triangle. At 11 o’ clock, at Opglabbeek, my 40 years’ old father fell into the hands of Parachute Infantry of the 24th Regiment, HÜBNER/ MATTHAEAS and of the 21st Para- Regiment, LÖYTVED- HARDEGG. He was summarily court- martialed to death and shot on the spot.On the 12th of September, Able for ‘A’ Company, coming from the north (Meeuwen- Gruitrode), did not secure Opglabbeek, defended as it was by Major Ulrich MATTHAEAS and at least one 8, 8 cm anti- tank gun (or 88mm as we call it). But a relevant ‘after action report’ entry reads, -"On the 14th of September the ‘C’ Company HQ with the 3rd platoon in reserve, moved from Beeringen, Zonhoven, Winterslag, Waterschei- Cité (where Willy spent the 1940 - 1944 war years of German occupation), to Zutendaal. The 1st platoon moved from Beeringen at first light, to the north of the wooded area north of Winterslag to Opglabbeek, Asch and joined the Company at Waterschei." MATTHAEAS and his fierce Paratroops had vacated Opglabbeek during the night of 13 / 14 September and moved to Kinrooi, to the north- east, close to the Holland- Limburg border. Major   Ulrich MATTHAEAS died at Bad Bevensen (Niedersachsen), on 21 June 1994. He was 83 years old. Consequently, I was war orphaned, - fatherless, not motherless, - at Opglabbeek on 11 September 1944. But on the 14th at 40 Gordellaan, Waterschei- Cité, suddenly appeared apparently out of nowhere, half a dozen — 8 Greyhound and/ or Sherman’s of ‘Charlie’ for ‘C’ Company HQ, as I know to- day they were. More than half a century later, the above location remains virtually unchanged, which might both help and fascinate visiting veterans. Unaware of my father’ s gruesome fate (that he had been killed three days before) and realizing that the ‘American Army’, - that is what we called you in those days, - planned to scout the Asch area and Zutendaal (Wiemismeer), Willy and friend managed to explain with almost no knowledge of the English language, that there was such a thing as a short and easy cut to Asch- station where "Hell on Wheels" obviously wanted to go. I. e. to follow the railroad track from Waterschei- station to Asch- station. Eventually, if I remember well, the scheme worked and I have already circulated among veterans a recently discovered photograph, featuring "Hell on Wheels" entering Asch, surrounded by Belgian teenagers including young Willy, friend(s) and bicycle.   Willy achieved a complete overseas career. Colonial, Development Co- operation and United Nations. He retired on 1st January 1991. The King of the Belgians bestowed on him the Honorary Rank, Title and Pension of Hon. Provincial Commissioner (B. C.), the Civil Service equivalent of full Colonel. Willy lives most of the time at B- 8400 Oostende (Belgium), Zeedijk 357, phone + 32 59 70 23 09 - fax + 32 59 50 48 79 - E- mail - He owns a small, self contained guest- house on the Zeedijk (‘Seadyke’) in Oostende, and is able and willing to accommodate, free of charge, two visiting adults. Senior soldiers and companion, planning to travel to Belgium to visit the North Sea coast, should not hesitate to call upon Willy ALENUS for possibly needed assistance. On 5 June 1999 he welcomed old friends in Deauville. (1109opgl). I think that this speaks for itself, All the members of the 82nd & the 2nd Armored Division appreciate the efforts of Willy, to honor our fallen hero's. 

Bradley, Omar, Gen.: (12 Feb. 1893 to 8 April 1981) Born in Clark, Missouri, graduated from West Point in 1915, and commissioned in the infantry. A protégé of Eisenhower, who had been in the same class at West Point. Served with the 14th Infantry Division in various posts in Washington and Arizona, received promotions to first lieutenant in July 1916, and captain in May 1917, then to temporary major in June 1918. Spent a few months at Camp Grange, Illinois, then professor of military science at South Dakota State College in Sept 1919. Reverted to captain in Jan. 1920. Later same year became instructor at West Point stayed there until 1924. Then on to Ft. Benning, Ga., to graduated from the Infantry School in 1925. Spent three years at Schofield Barracks, Hawaii, then on to Command and General Staff School, at Ft. Leavenworth, Ks. in 1929. From 1929 to 1933 he was an instructor at the Infantry School. Graduated from the War College in 1934, then again instructor at West Point until 1938. Promoted to lieutenant colonel in June 1936. In 1938 Bradley was ordered to duty with the General Staff, and promoted to brigadier general, in Feb. 1941. His early career included many years as a formal instructor, However, his contribution to training was by no means insignificant. he served as Commandant of the Infantry School from March 1941 to Feb. 1941. Then to temporary mg to command the 92nd Infantry Division ( later to be the 82nd Airborne) at Camp Claiborne, La. From June 1942 to Jan. 1943 he had the 28th Infantry Division at Camp Livingston, La. General Bradley, of course, is best recognized as the empathetic "G.I.'s General" and the able commander of the largest American army ever fielded under a single commander. In Tunisia and Sicily, he commanded American troops who first learned the lessons of actual combat. Short time later he was ordered to N. Africa there he was appointed as an aide to Gen. Eisenhower until April 1942. His career was also linked with Patton's. Bradley first took command of the 11 Corps, from Patton, in North Africa. His troops immediately stormed the German held city of Bizerte on 7 May 1943 and took 40,000 prisoners. The II Corps captured Bizerte, Tunis, on 8 May 1942. Promoted to temporary lieutenant general in June 1942. Bradley led the II Corp's, then part of Patton's Seventh Army, in the landing at Gela and Scoglitti, Sicily, on 10 July 1942.

In Sept.1942 he was called to England to assist in the planning of the invasion of Normandy. In Oct. 1943 he was named commander of the First United States Army Group (FUSAG) for that purpose. As a commander at that level he was held responsible to Gen. Courtney H. Hodges and the Third was under command of Gen. Patton, which together carried the advance of the center and and right across most of Europe. In Jan.1944, Bradley would be in command of the center wing, landed in Utah and Omaha beaches, Normandy on D-Day, 6 June 1944. The end of July the First Army made the breakthrough at St. Lo. that released the the Allies from the Cotentin Peninsula. His greatest contribution to the war effort was his part in the Operation Overlord (invasion of France). He was chosen to lead the D-Day assault on the beaches of Normandy, France 6 June 1944. Gen. Bradley was receiving less than $13,000 a year as a Four Star General in 1946. In assessing Bradley, noted military historian, Martin Blumenson, predicts that he will be remembered for, among other things, his "superb work as combat trainer and commander." In 1948 he succeeded Gen.. Eisenhower as Chief of Staff of the Army, holding that post until August 1949, when he became the first chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff. He was promoted to general of the army in Sept. 1950. In 1951 he published " A Soldier's Story ", a memoir, and in August 1953 he retired. He served as Chairman of the Board of the Bulova Watch Company in 1958. He was a Soldier's soldier, and a good general.  Look for more later.

Brooks, Edward Hale, Lt. Gen.: (25 April 1893 to 10 Oct.1978) Edward Hale Brooks was born on 25 April 1893 in Concord, NH. His father, Edward Waite Brooks, was a salesman. His mother was the former Mary Frances Hale. Ted Brooks had three sisters, Harriet, Gretchen and Alice Brooks. Both Gretchen and Alice died in their infancy. He was graduated from Concord (NH) High School, after which he attended Norwich University (The Military College of New England) in Northfield, VT., graduating in 1916 with a Bachelor of Science Degree in Civil Engineering. He later also received a master's degree from Norwich University and an honorary doctoral degree in military science from Pennsylvania Military College.

He began his military career in June 1915 as a Captain with the 1st Cavalry of the Vermont National Guard. During WW1, he served with the 3rd Division in five major engagements. He was first a Battery Commander in the 76th FA and later assistant G-3 of the 3rd FA Brigade. During the Meuse-Argonne campaign, he earned a Distinguished Service Cross when he "... exposed himself to heavy and accurate artillery fire directed on an ammunition train while driving a loaded ammunition truck to safety, the driver of which had been killed by enemy fire." He was in the Army of Occupation in Europe until Aug. 1919. Gen. Brooks was a member of the 3rd Div. football team. In 1921, at the American Legion Convention in Kansas City, he captained the Army team that defeated Great Lakes Naval Training Station 20-6. Served as a Gunnery instructor at Ft. Sill, OK, from 1922 to 1926, then was in the Philippines for two years where he had command of Battery D of the 24th Field Artillery, a pack mule outfit. He was then transferred to Ft. Riley, KS, served there 1928 to 1932. There his artillery battery, a horse drawn outfit, was the first to complete a 100 mile forced march in less than 24 hours. It was an accomplishment produced by vigorous training of both men and animals. 1932-1934 attended Command and General Staff school at Ft. Leavenworth, KS, then to Harvard University as ROTC instructor from 1934 to 1936. Attended War College 1936-1937 and was detailed as an instructor in the attack section of the Command and General Staff School.

Gen. Brooks was chief of the statistics branch of the old War Department General Staff from 1939 to 1941 where he was closely associated with Gen. Marshall and Secretary Stimpson. By this time he had risen to the rank of LTC. In September 1941, Gen. Jacob L. Devers requested that Gen. Brooks be named to the staff of the new armored force being formed at Ft. Knox, Ky. With this came promotion to Brigadier General. Consequently, he never wore eagles! In 1942 he was promoted once again to Major General. In this capacity he played a major in development of the M-7 self-propelled artillery piece and the M-8, assault gun, both potent forces in armored tactics.

From 1942 he was commander of the 11th Armored Division until 1944, when he was sent to England to take command of the 2nd Armored Division ("Hell on Wheels") and led that elite unit into Normandy. The division was prominent in the break-through at St. Lo, crossed the Rhine, and was said to be the first Allied division to enter Belgium. Gen. Brooks contributed, in particular, his skills in artillery coordination to the division. Gen. Brooks was awarded a Silver Star for repeatedly attacking enemy positions along his line and for the rapid commitment of his division against the enemy. He was cited for " personal gallantry and leadership." Later in the war he rose to the command of the VI Corps and its nearly 150,000 men. Accepting the surrender of the German 19th Army during this time (two days before V-E day) was what he considered to be one of his greatest achievements. It was shortly thereafter when one of his deepest personal tragedies occurred, the death of his son, Maj. Edward Hale Brooks, Jr. (USMA Jan 1943), in an airplane crash in Germany after the war had ended. This left him with his wife, Bea, his daughter, Betty, and her husband, R. Potter Campbell, Jr. (USMA 1941).

In 1949 Gen. Brooks was promoted to LTG when he was named assistant chief of staff for personnel (G-1). He then served as commanding general of the 2nd Army at Fort Meade, MD from 1951 until he retired from active service in 1953. He lived another blissful 25 years in Concord, NH, dedicated to his family and hobbies of fishing and gardening. ( The following paragraph is an excerpt from his eulogy as written and presented by Gen. Charles D. Palmer.) "He was an exceptional and courageous leader who inspired confidence, demanded much of his subordinates but gave more of himself, was very strict but fair, never sought personal power and glory. He pushed forward deserving subordinates, but never pushed forward himself, was very modest and very human. Subordinates sometimes referred to him as a "lucky general" not meaning that he himself was lucky but that he was lucky for them - such was their confidence that he and they would succeed." Gen. Brooks was known as "standing Eddie" for his unusual habit of standing up in his jeep as he reviewed the troops so he could better see them. He even had a special railing welded into the jeep to hold onto for this purpose. An example of his legendary fairness is the story of his hiking 20 miles himself in full pack in order to set a reasonable time in which to expect his troops to complete it. He was much beloved and respected by his family. He taught his grandchildren and great-grandchildren to fish and camp, he cared about and was beloved by all the children of our family. A finer man and role-model we couldn't have asked for. Apparently his comrades felt likewise, for his walls were lined with signed pictures from the likes of Eisenhower, Churchill, Montgomery, Bradley and others voicing their respect for the "great warrior". He was the man we called "the General", "the old Indian fighter", and "standing Eddie". His grandchildren and great-grandchildren just called him Daddy-Pop, and we were all the better for having known him. The above was written by: "Ted Kempster, great-grandson of Gen. Ted Brooks".

Collier, John H. Gen.: ( Died 1980 ) In 1941 Lt. Col. Collier was Commanding Officer of the 3rd Battalion 66th Armored Regiment. In 1942 he had already moved up to the grade of general. He landed in Casablanca on Christmas Day 1942. Gen. Collier would become Commanding Officer of CC "A" shortly after the Germans were driven out of Kasserine Pass. Gen.Collier goes into Caretan with CC"A" , joined with the 101st Airborne Div. and assaulted the 17th Panzer Div... Gen. Collier and his main CC"A" assault force crossed into Belgium just 11 minutes behind the scout section of "A" Co. 82nd Reconnaissance. He would take command of the 2nd Armored Div. in July 1945, relieving Gen. I.D. White. Gen. Collier was a good General. (he was know as "Pee Wee", with affection.) more later.

Mr. Arthur F. Colligan returns to grave of friend buried in Henri Chappelle, Belgium

Colligan, Arthur F. . This is a translation of the article of the daily paper "De Limburger" in Holland referring to  De Limburger June 16th 1999   World War Two veteran finds peace at grave of his comrade.   The American Sergeant Arthur Colligan (81) lost on the 8th of October 1944 his best friend Philip Bylewski during a tank battle. Almost 55 years after WW 2, he got at long last the chance to visit in Henri Chapelle the grave of his deceased comrade.   Story by Peter van den Berg.   Henri Chapelle: Standing lined up looks Arthur Colligan at the thousands of  marble crosses on the American Cemetery at Henri Chapelle. For a moment the 81 year old robust man gets emotional. After that the former tank commander wants just one thing. He can't wait to step on the just cut lawn. Searching for Philip Bylewski. With a crumpled piece of paper in his hand Colligan walks the gravel walk. Section F, row 8, grave 61. There must Phil be buried, he whispers almost unintelligible. Arthur stands a few seconds at each grave he passes. As a token of respect for his killed colleagues. When Colligan at last stands eye to eye at the grave of Philip Bylewski, it's for him impossible to say something for a couple of minutes. Arthur Colligan says a prayer and crosses o.s. Full with love he puts his hand on the white cross. He wants to touch his best friend for a while. I've been waiting for this moment for 55 years. It was my duty to return to Europe to see the grave of Philip. He's laying here so beautiful. This is a peaceful place. It's giving me peace, that at last I can say goodbye in a dignified way. He deserved it. "His thoughts are going back to the 8 th of October 1944, the day Philip Bylewski got killed, at the age of 25, by shell-fire. It seemed that Philip felt that he was going to die. The day before, he went suddenly to church, to pray. Philip was a religious man. He must have felt that something very serious was going to happen. Sergeant Arthur Colligan saw Philip Bylewski dying for his eyes during a tank battle at the German place Baesweiler. He himself got very heavy injured. He lost one eye and his right hand was shattered. The loss of Philip did more to me than my own injuries. I knew Philip from the beginning of the war. Four years we spent each hour together. He was my buddy. Of the 117 soldiers of my company 15 men returned alive to the US after the war. I was one of the lucky few, but it cost me years to work up mental the death of Philip. "The visit of the Belgian Cemetery is for Arthur Colligan (81) the highlight of his trip to Holland. For two weeks he stays in Limburg on invitation of Gerard Boumans (72) from Linne.Boumans lived during the war in Oirsbeek. As a 17 year old teenager he met the American soldier, after the village was liberated by the tank regiment "Hell on Wheels". I've met Art on the 18th of Sept. 1944. The tanks stood close by our house, hidden for German planes, in the orchard. He gave me his address. One way of another I felt myself strongly connected to those boys. I saw the frightened glance in their eyes. Those soldiers knew they were going to meet death. For 48 years Gerard Boumans did nothing with the address of Colligan. I saw the piece of paper off and on in a drawer, but I had my own family and pursuits. It didn't have the time to contact him. After Boumans realized that he was getting older, he got the feeling, that he wanted to know if Arthur Colligan was still alive. By an acquaintance in the US, he got to know the residence of the former sergeant. An intensive correspondence followed. Last year Boumans visited his liberator in Beaver Dam, a little town of 14.000 inhabitant, in the state of Wisconsin. He invited Colligan directly to come to the Netherlands. Boumans took him the last few days to all the places he had been 55 years ago. The environs have changed. I can remember a few things, says Arthur Colligan. The church towers in the villages, give me back horrible memories. The were used by German snipers to shoot at us. While Arthur Colligan walks between the crosses, he notices that in 55 years after the Second World War less has changed. If I see what happens in Kosovo, I get tears in my eyes. Hitler was a dictator. Now they have an other name, Milosevic or Saddam Hussein, it doesn't make the difference. I approve the way they deal with them. What we have gone through, may never return. This is the whole article. Sincerely Henk Smid     

Cox, Landon Greaud : (Colonel, US Army Retired), 86, died August 30 at his home in Gaithersburg, Maryland. He was born in New Orleans, Louisiana; graduated from the University of Kentucky in 1936; and began his military career with the Kentucky National Guard. During World War II, he commanded a tank battalion in General Patton's 2nd Armored Division "Hell on Wheels" in North Africa, Sicily, and France. Among his many awards, Colonel Cox received two Silver Stars, a Bronze Star, and a Purple Heart. Postwar Assignments included duty in Germany, Japan and Washington, D.C. He was buried with full military honors at Arlington National Cemetery. 

Harmon, Ernest Nason :("Gravel Voice", General) : (26 Feb1894 to 1979) Born in Lowell, Ma., he grew up there and in West Newbury, Vt. He attended Norwich University for a year then entered West Point, graduating from there in 1917 receiving a commission in the cavalry. He was promoted to first lieutenant in May 1917, and then to temporary captain in Aug., being sent on to France in March 1918. He saw action in the St. Mihiel and Muese-Argonne operations. He was promoted to permanent captain in Aug. 1920, an graduated from the Cavalry School, Ft. Riley, Kansas in 1921. He also competed in the Paris Olympics in 1924, in the modern pentathlon. Then was an instructor at West Point until 1925. From 1927 to 1931 he taught military tactics at Norwich University. He went on to graduate from the Command and General Staff School at Ft. Leavenworth, Ks. and being promoted to major in Nov,1932. He graduated from the Army War College in 1934, and from 1935 to 1939 was attached to the General Staff. In 1940 he was promoted to lieutenant colonel and named assistant chief of staff of the I Armored Corps. It was a newly organized corps and Gen. Adna R. Chaffee was heading this force at Ft. Knox, Ky. In Nov. 1941 he was appointed a temporary brigadier general and became chief of staff of the Armed Forces Hdq. In July of 1942 he took command of the 2nd Armored Div.. and advanced in rank to temporary major general the following month.

He led an advance part of the 2nd Armored Division in the landing in French Morocco in November 1942 and then on into Tunisia. April of 1943 took command of the 1st Armored Div. and was assigned to the VI Corp's, which was under the command of Gen. John P. Lucas. On 9 Sept. 1943 took part in the landing as a part of Gen. Mark Clark's 5th Army at Salerno and Paestum, Italy. In Jan. 1944 the 1st moved to the beachhead at Anzio under the VI Corp's and in May 1944 led the breakout to form the beachhead. The 1st Armored was the first division to cross the Tiber River, then on to Rome, Italy and beyond. Covering over 200 miles in 5 days. July of 1944 Gen. Harmon was transferred to command the VIII Corp's at Camp Bowie, Texas. He then returned to the 2nd Armored Div. in Belgium, Sept. 1944. The 2nd was assigned to Gen. Courtney H. Hodge's First Army and then to Gen. William H. Simpson's First Army which included the 2nd Armored Div. which broke through the Siegfried Line at Aachen, Germany in October. During the months of Oct. and Nov. 1944 was the one of the 2nd Armored Divs. most difficult times, as they were engaged in one of the most bitter fought tank battles on the western front. Gen. Harmon showed extraordinary perception of what enemy movements might mean and the ability to make immediate adjustments in the alignment of his available units to out maneuver the German panzer divisions, along with their infantry. At times having other units that were not attached the 2nd Armored to assist him, and some just simply refused, others would help him. Then in late at night at 2350 on 21 December of 1944 the 2nd Armored Division was ordered to travel overnight from the Aachen area to take up position in the Ardennes Offensive. The division traveled over 100 miles to then gather in the vicinity of Huy, Belgium, to assemble. Gen. Harmon again took to the offensive in an attempt to push the Germans back and to meet them on his terms. Fighting in freezing cold weather with snow ( and insufficient winter gear ) on the ground most of the time the Ardennes Offensive was a very hard struggle for the 2nd Armored Div.. With decisive bold armored tactics and movements he was able to block the enemy's advance and gain ground while doing so. Then later in January 1945 he was named Commander of the XX11 Corps which in April 1945 had control of the northern part of the Rhine Province. Later at the end of 1945 he briefly commanded the Third Army occupying Czechoslovakia. In February 1946 he took command of the VI Corp's in Germany, which developed into a military police force known as the U.S. Constabulary (was designated this in May 1946). This force was responsible for the entire U.S. occupational zone. He would then be become deputy commander Army Ground Forces in early 1947. Gen. Harmon retired in March 1948. He was named in 1950 as President of Norwich University, and served there until 1965. He retired to Florida in 1970 and wrote a volume of memoirs titled "Combat Command". We rate Gen. Harmon as one of the best 2nd Armored Division Commanders.

Hinds, Sidney R., Brig. Gen: Use mouse click on the name to go to site. 

Jeffares, Emory L., S/Sgt.: ( 5 March 1922 to 9 Nov. 2000 ) He was born 5 March 1922 to Emory Lee Jeffares and Mary B. Pipper. ( Jeffares ) in Atlanta, Ga. and attended grade school, middle school and high school in Atlanta, Ga. While going to school Emory L. worked in a body shop after school and some Saturdays making one dollar a week. In the summer he would make six dollars a week working 12 hours a day. During this period of time he was learning to be an auto painter. After getting out of school he decided to enlist in the army, and did so on 7 August 1940. He was sent to the 2nd Armored Div., 2nd Reconnaissance Battalion in Ft. Benning, Georgia, this division was just forming. ( later becoming the 82nd Reconnaissance Battalion ) Emory L. was assigned to Company "A", 2nd platoon. He was to stay with "A" Company, 2nd platoon throughout his army life. He was promoted to Corporal in September 1942, was sent to North Africa in December 1942. In Aug. 1943 was sent to Palermo, Sicily for patrol duty, and occupational duties until November 1943. Then he was transferred to Tidworth Barracks in England for intensive training and to receive new equipment. All of this in preparation for the invasion of France. In Tidworth he was promoted to Sgt. Sgt. Jeffares was still with his unit the Co. "A", 2nd platoon, 82nd Reconnaissance Battalion, and with his unit boarded an LST and arrived off the coast of France ( Omaha Beach) on D+2, they couldn't go ashore because of the tide, they had to stay on the British LST until the next day, going ashore on D+3. Sgt. Jeffares would stay as a scout car commander throughout the drive across northern Europe and on into Holland.

On the night of 21 Dec. 1944 the entire 2nd Armored Div. was sent overnight, starting at 2300 hrs to Acquier, Belgium traveling with blackout lights on all vehicles. The roads were very bad with slush and much snow on the ground. The 2nd Armored was then at 1000 (10:00 AM) moved to Havelange, Belgium, and immediately committed to action against the Germans. The enemy had made a breakthrough and the 2nd Armored was being rushed to that area to stop the German advance. This was a rough period of time for the 2nd Armored Div., they were not equipped for winter combat fighting, but faced this assignment with determination. It was cold miserable you name it, the worst weather must of us had ever experienced. On 12 Jan. 1945 the company mission was to hold portion of line south of Samree, Belgium and to clear the woods to the east of the line positions. We were to advance in a line Sgt. Jeffares squad on the left. Sgt. Jeffares saw a field telephone hanging over a tree right over the German entrenched position about 200 ft. to the front. The firing from the Germans began just after Sgt..Jeffares noticed this, we suffered several casualties. The left squad took most of the casualties. Tech /5 Isaac Duhon ( was a close friend, his name is also written in this column) and Pfc. John V. McMahon were killed by rifle fire. The following were wounded, Sgt. Emory L. Jeffares, and. Pfc. William M. Polk., Pfc. Oliver Owens, all 2nd platoon. We pulled back, Sgt. Jeffares and Pfc. Owens ended up in England in a hospital.. Sgt. Jeffares then returned to the states and was discharged on 7 August 1945 from the Finney General Hospital at Thomasville, Georgia.

He went to work painting automobiles and would marry Miss. Holly Tallman on 18 May 1946. In 1962 he became manager of the body shop where he was working. After a long and happy marriage Mrs. Holly Jeffares passed away 16 Oct.1989 after a long illness.. He retired in 1984, Mr. Emory L. Jeffares now lives in a suburb of Atlanta, Georgia. I once asked Sgt. Jeffares while we were waiting for the St. Lo breakthrough to begin in July 1944, this question, why did he join the Army?, his reply was " I didn't have anyplace else to go. This was true in some cases, for those that would volunteer around this time, but also they had a sense of patriotism. It was men like Sgt. Emory L. Jeffares that made up the members of the 2nd Armored Division's early on, and under Gen. George Patton became the very best Armored Division that the United States had to offer in WW 2. The men of this great division were ready to offer their lives for their country. We consider these men along with Sgt. Emory L. Jeffares to be true American Hero's. With the information supplied by Emory L. Jeffares, Written and edited by Howard Swonger, Webmaster

The following is the story of a family that lost a loved one in World War 11. This is just one, there were many. What more can one give for his country, than to give his life.

Kingery, Pvt. Morris Harold: ( 25 June 1916 to 27 Nov.1944 ) Morris Harold Kingery was born in the small town of Holdenville, Oklahoma.  Holdenville is about 80 miles east of Oklahoma City.  His parents were Lena and Rannie Kingery.  He was their only child.  Because of his size, he was called "Buster" from the time he was born.  His dad worked his whole life for the Frisco Railroad and retired in Holdenville.  My dad grew up and went through school in the same town that his maternal grandparents, uncles, aunts and cousins lived, and he had a lot of friends.  With great humor, he was a tall curly headed guy that would give anybody help that needed it.  He also had some of that Irish temper from his Mother's side.  I have been told stories that I thought were an example of his temper and humor.  His mother told him he couldn't drive the family car and locked up in the garage.  So he drove it through the garage  door.  I cherish the picture I have of him and his real pretty 1931 Model "A" Ford roadster.  That was quite the car for a guy in his late teens.  He ended up driving it into the Holdenville lake (not on purpose), but he sure was upset. He dated Jimmy Roger's daughter.  She got mad at him because he was late for a date one night. She lived in Wewoka, Oklahoma about 8 miles from Holdenville.  When he did show up, she started throwing her dad's  music records at him and broke a lot of what would become collectable records.

He started his work career in sales for a bread company in Holdenville. He moved to Ada, Ok. when he and my mother married.  They were both 21 years old in 1937 and had never lived anywhere other than Holdenville. My mother, Lorene (Loftis) Kingery, was raised by her mother and dad, a farmer, furniture store owner and preacher, who wasn't all together sure she should date or marry this big fun loving Irish guy.  She had two brothers and one sister.  One brother was a good friend of my dad, and they got into a lot of mischief together.  So this helped my dad get a date with my mother, and he settled down a lot (or enough to please my grandfather). My dad went to work for a milk company in Ada. He  stayed with the milk company for as long as he could but said  he was going to have to find something where he didn't break bottles.  They took every bottle you broke out of your paycheck.  So my parents moved to Oklahoma City where my dad worked for Borden's Milk Company until he joined the army.  I was born after they moved to Oklahoma City in November 1939.  My mother and I used to go to a park that was right across the street from the Borden's plant, and we met my dad after he got off work.  I have memories of him swinging me high in the park swings. He was able to buy a pie route and was really doing well working both jobs.  He was a great sales person.  We bought a home in Oklahoma City. By then, the war was getting worse, and he joined the army to serve his country as so many others had.  We had a real good friend who also owned a pie route in Oklahoma City.  He took my dad's business and ran both to keep the business going. 

In April 1944 at Ft. Sill, Oklahoma, he went for his induction and then to boot camp at Camp Joseph T. Robinson, Ar.  Then he went to Camp Meade in Md. where he left in Sept.1944 for overseas.  He would be assigned to Company "G", 41st Armored Inf. Bn. 2nd Armored Div. His last letter was written 25 November 1944, and mailed from Germany.  He was reported KIA ( Killed in Action ) 27 Nov. 1944, Northwest of Merzenhausen, Germany, near the Roer River. Artillery was heavy along this Roer River line. "C" Company, 82nd Reconnaissance Bn. would relieve Company "G" on 28 November 1944 from this line  I was five on 19 November 1944.  I remember a uniformed (not sure what kind) man at the front door to our house who informed us of my dad's death.  I also remember the decorated Christmas tree in the living room. My dad is buried at Margraten cemetery in Holland.  My grandmother could not face the fact he'd been killed and asked my mother to not bring him home that way.  She never talked about him.  She had lost her only child.

My mother never got to visit where my dad is buried, but I have been fortunate enough to visit twice. It is a beautifully cared for resting place, and as Mike Ariano also of the 41st armored infantry Co G said, "he's with his buddies".   As I was growing up, I had a problem with the fact I didn't understand where he was.  It helped a lot to visit the place he had been laid to rest.  He left a widow who always said he was the best husband and for which anyone could ever have asked.  He left one daughter who is writing this memory in his honor, with all my love. Carla Sue Kingery Holcomb, Oklahoma City, Oklahoma

Lane,  Major Robert A.: Born 25 January 1913 -23 August 1944.  Robert was born  in Marietta, Ohio, graduated from Marietta High School in 1930, and that September entered Ohio State University.  Four years later, he graduated from OSU, in June, and in August married LaVerne Shaffer. In Dec.1940   left Fort Meade, MD with Lt. Ralph Luman and others for Fort Benning, Georgia.  They were activated and assigned to the 2ndArmored Division.  . 
            Before the holidays in 1942, he had to say good-bye to LaVerne
and his children.  Lt. Lane stayed with the 2nd Armored Division throughout his service. Far from his wife and family, Bob celebrated his 30th birthday with his 2nd Armored friends in the cork forest, the Foret de Mamora, near Rabat, French Morocco. That Christmas was spent in Morocco was mild compared to the damp, cold "Merry Olde" English Christmas at Tidworth Barracks in 1943. Going from Africa to Sicily to England was quite a contrast, to include the intense heat the men experienced during and after the battle for Sicily.  Promoted to Major, Bob became the S-2 for Combat Command B,  before they sailed into Normandy, June 1944.  He advanced through the hedgerows, taking part in the breakthrough at St. Lo, passed the Falaise Gap, to Conches, France. At the forward command post near Conches, France on Wednesday afternoon 23 August  he was struck in the back by exploding Nebelwefer ( Commonly known as "Screaming Meenie" rockets. )    Major Robert A. Lane is buried at the Normandy American Cemetery at Omaha beach with 134 of his friends in the 2nd Armored Division. Respectfully, Sandra Lane Walker, Robert's daughter. 

McElwaney, Theron, Sgt.: The story of a remarkable soldier, covering a period of 28 years. One of a group of four soldiers to be the first to enter Belgium in WW II. Serving in the 2nd Armored Div. known as " Hell On Wheels ". and on into Korea and Vietnam and beyond. Coming soon.

McGorman, Frank L.: ( 24 May 1925 to 17 Dec. 1986 ).My brother Frank L.( Bud ) McGorman ( ASN #37571728 ) served in the HQ. 1st Bn., 67th Armored Regiment, 2nd Armored Division. He was injured in battle in Conchies France, August 22, 1944, and remained totally disabled "shell shock" until his death. . Frank received the bronze star for meritorious service in action against the enemy on 22 Aug. 1944 in France. "During this action, in the vicinity of Conches France, the forward artillery observer's tank came into close contact with a large enemy force. Private McGorman, an extra crew member, was riding on the back of the tank when it contacted the enemy.  Sensing the vulnerability of his tank to the enemy foot troops, Private McGorman, although exposed to heavy small arms and artillery fire, voluntarily dismounted from the tank and acted as dismounted infantry to protect the tank's flank so that the artillery observer could continue his fire missions.  Firing his weapon continuously and inflicting severe casualties on the enemy, Private McGorman, in all probability, saved his tank from a flank or rear attack.  By his audacious courage, fine initiative and disregard for himself, acted in the highest traditions of the Military Service.  Entered the military service from Minnesota."  Citation was signed by Major General E. N. Harmon, Office of the Division Commander, APO 252. My brother had also received first degree wounds in a previous battle, and should have received the purple heart for his actions.  The records in St. Louis were destroyed by fire, and therefore my brother never got his medal. I tried for years to write everyone that might be able to help, but was unable to succeed. I was a small child when my brother was in the war, but my family always read his letters home and I was proud of him even as a small child.  I am still extremely proud of Frank, and have his medal framed in our home.  My children also were very proud of their uncle Frank referred to as Bud. My brother was sent to the front lines about the time he should have been graduating from high school.  They had an empty seat for him at his graduation. There were so many that did not come back, the ones that did, never regained their place in the life that they left, before going in the service. They paid a high price for freedom, the world changed for them. There is a poem written by his niece, Sandra Shields on the TAPS page along with his obituary.

Merriam, Wheeler G. BG : ( 15 April 1911-- 12 Feb.1997 ) He was born in North Brookfield, Mass. son of Burr T. and Corinne ( Pease ) Merriam, attended local schools, received a bachelor's degree in mechanical engineering from the University of Maine in 1932, and received a master's degree in education from Harvard University in 1940. Gen. Merriam joined the U.S. Army in 1932 and received a reserve commission as a 2nd Lieutenant in the infantry. He was called to active duty in August 1940 as part of the 82nd Reconnaissance Battalion, and led the 82nd through France, Belgium, Holland, Germany.. His was the first U.S. Army unit to encounter Soviet troops at the Elbe river in Germany, which ended the advance of the U. S. forces in Europe in World War 11. Col. Merriam as we knew him was affectionately referred to as " Mother Merriam ", he seemed to always be looking out for our welfare, always wanted to be sure that we were as safe as we could be, which was a hard job in combat. Hassselt, Belgium has just named a street after him. He was a good commanding officer of the 82nd. He was a World War 11 hero to everyone and to the men that served under him. After the war, he headed the general instruction department of the Cavalry School at Ft. Riley, KS. In 1947, he entered the Army's Command and General Staff College at Ft. Leavenworth, then went to the Army War College. He was promoted to colonel in 1953 and was assigned as secretary to the United Nations Armistice Commission at Panmunjoin, Korea, where he was responsible for administration of the site and planning for the truce negotiations involving the United Nations, North Korea and China. In 1954, Gen. Merriam was promoted to the rank of brigadier general, and in 1964 was assigned to the 3rd Armored Division in Germany as assistant division commander of maneuvers. During his military career, he was awarded the Silver Star with one oak leaf cluster, the Legion of Merit, Bronze Star with two oak leaf clusters, the Croix de Guerre with palm for action in both Belgium and France, the Fouragere Belgium, and Hero of the Soviet Union. Gen. Merriam was a charter member and past president of the 2nd Armored Division Association.

After retiring from the army in 1966, he started a second career in higher education. He moved to Jaffrey and joined Franklin Pierce College in Rindge as dean of students. During his years at Franklin Pierce, he started the counseling department, developed and outing club, and built up the student center. He also helped to convert a campus hillside into a small ski slope. His first wife , Erica L. ( Bauer ) Merriam died 24 Dec. 1985. Survivors include his wife, Dorothy Merriam of Scottsdale, AZ. four daughters, Vreni Merriam, Jacqueling Merriam Paskow,  Veet Deha, Erica Elliott, two sons, George and John Merriam, four grandchildren and two great-grandchildren. Col. Merriam was a fine man and a World War 11 hero." Its A fact"

Montgomery, Bernard, Gen.: (1987-1976) Montgomery's willfulness, egocentricity and arrogance were dominant traits of his character as young officer. Despite this he rose to rank of general and became Commander of the 3rd Division, which he took to France in 1939 and then evacuated from Dunkirk, battered but still intact, in June 1940. He was one of the last officer's to leave the beach at Dunkirk. Then on to command the V and V11 Corps in 1942, chosen to command the Eighth Army in the western desert. He took over an army that had just received an infusion of modern equipment and reinforcements. He was the first British commander to defeat a German force. He did a good job at at El Alamein in Africa. Gen. Montgomery was to close the Falaise Gap, in Aug. 1944, he changed his instructions on what division's were to take the duty five times,. His inconsistency on the Falaise Gap showed his lack of will to make a firm decision on just how he was going to trap the Germans, and not allow them to escape toward the Seine River. The Ardennes Offensive: 1. He wanted to pull back from the Elsenborn Ridge even as the battle was almost won, but bowed to Gen. Hodges objection. 2. He wanted to pull back immediately from St.Vith, which would have afforded the Germans early use of a vital road network but bowed to Gen. Hodges objection. Hodges had already specified that that decision was to be made by the man on the ground, Hasbrouck. 3. He ordered the 82nd Airborne Div. to withdraw from the Salm River to Trois Ponts-Manhay line, but Ridgeway had already directed Gen. Gavin to prepare for such a withdrawal. 4. He ordered relinquishing the Manhay crossroads, but in recognition that opened another route of the Germans to the Ourthe River, Hodges ordered the crossroads to be retaken. 5. He ordered Joe Collins to assemble for an attack, but when most of Collins force became involved in the defensive battle, authorized withdrawal. Collins attacked instead and stopped the Germans short of the Meuse. 6. When it came to reducing the bulge, he used great skill and less tact. Montgomery moved so slowly-however "surely"--that the Germans were able to regroup undisturbed by the First Army for new assaults on Bastogne. 7. Every division of the Ninth Army that was sent to the Ardennes, was sent before Montgomery assumed command. Later Gen. Montgomery requested that the 2nd Armored be sent to the Ardennes 14 Offensive. On 12 Sept. 1944, General Harmon took command of the division and by Oct. 1944 we had crossed the Meuse River, pierced the Siegfried Line, and were in the vicinity of Eubach, Germany, where we were ordered to halt. We were having great difficulty getting gasoline to run our vehicles. What we did not know was that all of our gas supply had been diverted to the big mistake called the Market Garden operation which Montgomery was running in the northern part of Holland, he was trying to capture all of the bridges before the Germans blew them up. This operation not only drained all of our supplies, but all of Patton's and the First Army and our own Ninth Army to which we had been transferred. We also lost more men that we had lost on D-Day, and we accomplished nothing. Because of this fiasco in Northern Holland we were forced to remain inactive for about five weeks. When the war ended he was selected to accept the surrender of the Germans in the Northern region of Europe. After he war he was the Chief of the Imperial General Staff and Deputy Supreme Allied Commander of Europe.

Patton Jr., George Smith, (General, "Blood and Guts"):(11 Nov. 1885 to 21 Dec. 1945) Born in San Gabriel, California, Patton then spent one year at Virginia Military Institute, while there he decided to obtain a commission in the army. Patton was commissioned in the cavalry after his 1909 graduating from the US Military Academy. He gained a reputation for his ability, energy, marksmanship, and superb horsemanship in his early years.. Patton was a pioneer in many areas. In 1912 he represented the United States Military and was the first American to compete in the Modern Pentathlon, an event stressing horsemanship, in the Olympic Games held in Stockholm, Sweden. Immediately after the he attended the French Cavalry school in Samur, France. He wrote the Army Manuel on the Saber, while he was at Ft. Riley, Kansas while serving there as an instructor in the mounted Service School. Patton was promoted to captain in 1917, after participating in General John L. Pershing's Punitive Expedition into Mexico.( trying to hunt down Pancho Villa in 1916). Following his promotion, he joined Gen. Pershing's staff in the American Expeditionary Force in May 1917, and was sent to France. By that time a temporary lieutenant colonel ( Note later reverted to captain at Ft. Meade, Maryland ) in World War I, He became the first member of the Tank Corps and organized the First American Tank Training Center at Langres, France. Patton organized and commanded the 304th Tank Brigade during the St. Mihiel and the Meuse Argonne offensive. This was one of two battalion which provided the bulk of the officers and men of the "old 66th". In an engagement, General Patton led his battalion into action seated atop the turret of a two-man Renault tank. A knee wound suffered in a previous action prevented him from getting inside. The tank punched through the enemy & fixed position but the infantry given the mission of following the tanks in close support, had fallen too far behind, General Patton personally went back, located the troops, gave them a sample of his choice of words and brought them up to take over the ground his tanks had over run. He received the Distinguished Service Cross and the Purple Heart during the Meuse Offensive.

After the war he returned to the United States and was reverted from temporary colonel to captain and then in 1919 he was promoted to Major and commanded the 304th Tank Bn. at Ft. Meade, Maryland. Over the next 20 years served with the 3rd Cav. at Ft. Myer, Virginia, two tours in Hawaii and was in the office of the Chief of Cavalry in 1928-31. Graduated from the Cavalry School, Ft. Riley, Kansas in 1923. Graduated from the Command and General Staff School, Ft. Leavenworth in 1924, Army War College in 1932. Was promoted to lieutenant colonel in 1934, and then to colonel in 1937. From December 1938 to July 1940 commanded the 3rd Cavalry at Ft. Myers, Virginia. Then was assigned to the 2nd Armored in Ft. Benning Georgia. He advanced to temporary brigadier general in Oct. 1940, in April 1941 he became the divisional commander with the temporary rank of major general. There and later at the army's Desert Training Center ( which he commanded during April-August 1942 ) on the California-Arizona border he molded the 2nd, and from Jan. 1942 the I Armored Corps into a highly efficient force.

Gen. Patton headed the Western Task Force to take part in the North African campaign in November 1942. Took command of the II Corps in Tunisia in March 1943 becoming lieutenant general in April. He did a great job in restoring discipline and morale, and making them ready for combat in the II Corps. Was in on the invasion of Sicily, this would be code named "Operation Husky". During the days before the invasion of Sicily Gen. Patton was going by a group of men trying to float a bridge into the shore near Arzew from an LST. Some of the men were falling off into the water, and they seemed to be enjoying it, Gen. Patton seeing that the platoon leader an officer was the only dry man in the platoon, ordered him into the water. He told the officer that if his men are dripping wet he should be too. Later would become involved incident of the slapping of a hospitalized soldier whom he suspected of malingering. He was reprimanded by General Eisenhower, and unduly criticized in the press. We have to remember that at that time the understanding of combat fatigue and stress related to combat action was not fully understood as it is today. He did later apologize. As a result of this his promotion to a higher rank was held up for several months. Early in November 1944 he was ordered to England to take command of the Third Army.

Gen. George S. Patton Jr., known as "Old Blood and Guts" was one of the most colorful commanders in the US Army. The famed commander of the Third Army during World War II displayed courage and daring as prominently as the pair of ivory handled revolvers he wore. In the early part of World War II, Patton played a major role in the North Africa and Sicily Campaigns. But he is best remembered for his command of the Third Army during its drive across France. The Third Army pushed through the German defenses and captured thousands of prisoners before being forced to stop, due to a lack of logistical support, at the Seine and Meuse Rivers. Gen.Patton accomplished one of the most remarkable feats in military history in December 1944, when he quickly turned the Third Army northward to reinforce the Allied southern flank against the German attack in the Battle of the Bulge. (Ardennes Offensive) In Dec. 1944 poised on the Saar, he executed one of the most remarkable pieces of staff work and field maneuver in military history by quickly turning the Third Army northward to shore up the Allied southern flank against the German Ardennes Offensive, known also as " The Battle of the Bulge ).The Third Army's 4th Armored Division, spearheaded by Creighton Abrams 37th Tank Battalion, rescued and relieved the "Battered Bastards of Bastogne," the 101 Airborne Division. General Patton would review his beloved 2nd Armored Division one more time in July of 1945 in Berlin, Germany. And yes, he was wearing his famous pistols, he stood out as an impressive figure. The 82nd Reconnaissance, as a part of the 2nd Armored Division stood for this review, as he passed by in a half-track. This was a moment in history for all of us in the 2nd Armored Division. He was a great general.

General Patton's doctrines for aggressive employment of massive Armor forces continue to prove themselves in combat areas around the world. The members of the 2nd Armored Division credit the intense training and the readiness that Gen. Patton required of his troops as the reason that the they suffered less casualties than other armored divisions. Even with much more combat time in action. The 2nd Armored Division was best trained armored division in World War 2. He was a "spit and polish soldier" he became on of the most brilliant decisive and aggressive military commanders in American History. After the war his public criticisms of the post-war denazification program in occupied Germany, based on apprehensions of Communist takeovers in Europe, led to his being transferred in Oct. 1945 from command of the Third Army and the military governorship of Bavaria to a largely paper Fifteenth Army. In this post he was president of Theater General Board, organized to study the European campaign. In November replaced Gen. Eisenhower as commander of US Forces in Europe. After only two weeks in this position as a result of a car accident he passed away on 21 Dec. 1945 in Heidleberg, Germany. At his own request, he is buried alongside fallen comrades in the American Cemetery at Hamm, Luxembourg. General Patton no doubt at times was over anxious to move his troops forward, when it was best for him to slow down. ( so everybody else could catch up ) He was the ultimate soldier, his understanding of war and how to conquer the enemy was outstanding, there was none better. General Patton was dedicated, devout, profane, flamboyant and sometimes controversial. He was a man for this time and a true American Hero.

Rose, Maurice, General: (26 Nov. 1899 to 30 March 1945) General Maurice Rose was born in Connecticut. He joined the army in 1916, served on the Mexican border with the Colorado National Guard as a private. In 1917, attended the first Officers Training Course at Fort Riley, Kansas and was commissioned in the infantry. Went to France in 1918 with the 353rd Infantry Regiment, then with the 89th Division at St. Mihiel, where he was wounded. After recovery was assigned to the 129th Infantry, 33rd Div. remained with it through the Meuse-Argonne offensive. Then rejoined the 89th Div. in Germany. After a year in civilian life following the war returned to the regular army, serving at various posts for the succeeding six years. Later, he was assistant professor of military science and tactics at Kansas State College. In 1930, transferred to, attended the Cavalry School, served with the 8th Cavalry as a Troop Commander. He was Post Executive at Corozal, Canal Zone, and a Troop Commander in the 6th Cavalry. He attended the Command and General Staff School in 1936-37. For the next three years he was instructor of the 103rd Pennsylvania National Guard. In 1939 joined the Armored Force with the 13th Armored Regiment, and later moved to the 1st Armored Brigade.

Gen. Rose became Chief of Staff of the 2nd Armored Div., in January-Feb. 1942 for a short period of time. Then in late Feb. as a Colonel was assigned as a Chief of Staff of the 1st Armored Div. while in the Kasserine Pass area in Africa. General Rose was in the drive to retake Kasserine Pass, and he stuck it out at an advance observation post despite heavy enemy fire. The battling in Bizerte, Africa permitted no lull for negotiations for surrender. Then with the rank of colonel, General Rose took a vehicle through enemy lines to a German command post and arranged for the capitulation of the 15th Panzer Division. Except for a brief duty with the 2nd Armored in February and March 1942, served with the 1st Armored until the German capitulation in North Africa. In Sicily while the tanks of his command attacked the town of Canicatti, Sicily on the third day of the invasion, he pushed ahead to arrange for the town's surrender. German artillery opened fire on the General's jeep (Peep), General Rose and then Col. Sidney Hinds spent a precarious 20 minutes reaching the safety of a defiled position where he waited until his tanks came up. In May 1943, returned as Commander of Combat Command "A," which the 2nd Armored Div. was part of, was promoted to brigadier general. He served in that capacity until he was given command of 3rd Armored Div. on 6 Aug.1944 in France. General Maurice Rose was killed outside of Hamborn, Germany, 30 March 1945  while leading a column of the 3rd Armored. He was a tough, strict soldier, harsh at times, but a man with a dash and daring who won the admiration of his men. He was not afraid to go to the front of the column. He started at the bottom and was able to achieve all of the above, he was a real World War 11 hero. His wife was Miss. Virginia Barringer. They have a son Maurice Roderick Rose, born Jan. 1941. .General Maurice Rose had two (2) sons -- both named Maurice, as the result of two (2) marriages. The first to Venice Hanson and the second to Virginia Barringer. The first son. Maurice Rose retired from the US Marine Corps after 31 years of active duty as a Colonel. The second son named Maurice Roderick Rose is named after General Roderick Allen. Both are alive today. Read the article that Don R. Marsh authored that appeared in the 2AD 2004 Bulletin of how he located General Rose's two "missing sons.

Smith, Harold D., Capt.: (14 May 1916 to 13 Sept. 1944). Harold D. Smith was born in Stillwater, Oklahoma. He attended A&M College in Tucson, Arizona, and was inducted into the army at Fort Bliss, Texas, 2 Feb. 1941. He participated in the Louisiana maneuvers held from 9 Aug. 1941 to 3 Oct. 1941. Then he attended Officer Candidate School at Fort Knox, Kentucky, where he received his commission in Jan.1942. He served under General Patton in Africa and Sicily. Captain Smith, as a 1st Lieutenant, landed in North Africa on 8 Nov. 1942. Lt. Smith was assigned to the 1st Armored Div. at Maknassy (was connected to the battle for Kasserine Pass) which was slightly north east of El Guettar, and south east of Kasserine Pass in Tunisia. He moved directly into action with "B" Co., 13th A.R. in an observer capacity. His post was on the southern section of the battle of Kasserine Pass in March 1943. Also served as Liaison Officer to the 2nd Battalion of the 18th Inf. at Beja. Lt. Smith earned a commendation during this and subsequent actions, and was commended for "his calmness and courage under the most dangerous situations, which served as an inspiration to all with whom he came in contact." The commendation goes on to read:

"In the actions near Beja he was assigned as Liaison Officer to the 2nd Battalion of the 18th Infantry. In this capacity, he performed his job in a superior manner with utter disregard for his own safety, and his timely information contributed greatly to the success of the operation. Later, he volunteered to command a platoon going into action when all the platoon officers in that particular Company had been killed. Once again he proved himself to be a officer of courage and skill who quickly gained the support of his men. Such actions on the part of an assigned observer I deem highly commendable and deserving of recognition." /s/ F.F. Carr, Lt. Col. U.S.A. Commanding.

Lt. Smith went through the Sicilian Campaign, and arrived in Tidworth Barracks in England as a member of the 2nd Armored Division in Dec.1943. Lt. Smith participated in the Normandy landing and then the breakthrough at St. Lo on 27 July 1944. He was awarded the Silver Star for gallantry in action while serving in France, was awarded three medals by the French Government. During the European action he was a member of the 2nd Armored Div.. Capt. Harold D. Smith served under Gen. Edward H. Brooks and Gen. Ernest N. Harmon.

On 2 Aug.1944, Reconnaissance. Co., 67th A.R. led off as the Combat Command "B", with Capt. Smith as Commanding Officer, moving to block the escape routes into the interior of France of the German Seventh Army elements. In the action near St. Sever Calvados, all platoons were involved in the first contact by the Combat Command "B". The first supported an attack of the 28th Inf. on a hill near the Vire highway while the third, supported by the mortars of the first and third under 1st Sergeant Lee, took a hill from which there had been a good deal of enemy fire. Both platoons advanced toward a strong enemy position with a platoon of mediums from "D" Company attached, and were met by fierce enemy fire of all kinds, direct artillery, mortar, bazooka, and small arms. They could not retain the position. In the withdrawing, Capt. Smith, working in a defile in the center of many of the wounded, lifted them to the back of the armored cars before they moved out. Tank and infantry casualties were higher than those of the Company. Seiler was killed and Sgt. Mosco and Cpl. Fee were injured. Capt. Smith and Sgt. William J. Huffman were the last to leave the scene, and they surprised the Company by getting out safely at all. Capt. Smith was awarded the Distinguished Service Cross for his heroism in this action. The reconnaissance objection of the action was reached in the next days by the third platoon when it made contact with the 3rd Armored Div. and passed through their outposts along the route, which was followed by the combat command in its flanking movement to Barenton. The advance drew to a halt in the Marchioness area for lack of gas. The Executive's half-track was completely dry at the main crossroads of Marchioness; gas was borrowed from the division G-3 to move it to the Company assembly area at Landaus. Before assembling at Landaus on 3 Sept. 1944 the First had had a patrol into Belgium. Capt. Smith’s car captured the division commander during that fast moving time.

Three days were passed here, and they were the days of highest optimism. The Company received orders that carried to the Siegfried Line. Capt. Smith, who had never before expressed high hopes, told the Company that he hoped and expected the next formation to be after victory. The captured aviation gas was issued and the Belgian border was crossed. 1st Inf. and 3rd Armored Div. positions were passed through at Mons and two days spent at Ulbeek. For the first time the command post was indoors. The Company moved out of Ulbeek on Capt. Smith's own order and went up to Beverat where the artillery was in position without protection. While the Division was lined up on the Albert Canal and the Maas (Meuse) River, the Company reconnoitered for bridges and possible bridge sights and protected the approaches from the far side.

On 13 Sept. 1944, Capt. Smith led a reconnaissance patrol toward the bank of the Albert Canal, observed an artillery mission on enemy across the Canal, and was hit in the heart by a sniper round. He died almost instantly. He was awarded the Purple Heart, and is interred in Henri-Chapelle U.S. Military Cemetery, Belgium.. Captain Harold D. Smith was a leader of men and an inspiration to the men in his Company. He was a World War II hero. Written by: His niece Ms. Barbara Denny, for the WWW@ site of the

Sorensen Sr, Ernest G., PFC. :( 23 April 1929 - 2 Nov. 1995 ). Ernest G. Sorensen was born in Archer, Iowa. He entered the army around 1961, and was stationed at Ft. Hood Texas for a while and then participated in the "Operation Big Lift". This was to supply food and supplies that were needed by the people of Berlin, Germany to survive the Soviet blockade of that city during the Cold War. He and other soldiers stood at attention for hours on the Tarmac at Templehof Airport in Berlin, Germany the day that President Kennedy was assassinated. Later on returning to Ft. Hood, Texas, he repaired and drove tanks. He was a member of the 2nd Armored Division while there.

After leaving the military and going to back to Oklahoma to live as a civilian he became active in re-enactment's of the American Civil War and founder of The First Wright County Light Artillery.  He was a skilled machinist who built a full size 3 inch Ordnance Rifle and a Mountain Howitzer, both from copies of the original blue prints from the 1860's.  He christened the Ordnance Rifle 'Hell on Wheels' on 11 Aug. 1984 and went on to win many local and national contests for accuracy as well as participating in battle re-enactment's and historical presentations in cooperation with the regional Historical Societies.  He was also a skilled gunsmith, a collector of antique weapons, and a recognized as an authority on building and maintaining replica artillery pieces.  He continued to be an active participant even after and accident caused him the loss of his left leg.  This loss lent itself to his playing the role of' a " battlefield casualty ", and with the help of a another gentleman portraying a doctor, he was the victim of many mock amputations to the horror and delight of the spectators.  He was buried in the uniform of a 2nd Lieutenant of the Artillery of the Grand Army of the Republic, with full military honors befitting an officer of that time.  Including an Honor Guard and a 21 gun salute.  He is sadly missed and will be long remembered by his friends and family. Every life has a story and all to many of them are lost to the ages.

Walker, Walton Harris, Gen.: Biography, World War 11, Korean.

White, Issac D. (I.D) Gen.: (6 Mar.1901 to 11 June 1990) General I.D. White was born at Peterborough, New Hampshire, 6 Mar. 1901. He was the son of MG and Mrs. Daniel M. White. He attended grade school and high school there before graduating from Norwich University at Northfield, Vermont with honors in 1922. Appointed a 2nd Lt. of the cavalry in the Officer's Reserve Corps after graduation he was commissioned in the same branch of the Regular Army 5 Feb. 1923. Domestic posts included Ft. Des Moines, Iowa, Ft. Riley, Kansas, Fort Ethan Allen, Vermont, and Ft Knox, Ky. In 1932, he was on duty with the American Gold Star Pilgrimage in Paris, France. General White was one of the pioneers of the early armored doctrine that evolved in the period from 1917 to 1940, along with General Sidney Hinds.

Col. White was an instructor in the Cavalry School, Ft. Riley, Kansas in 1937, attended the Command and General Staff School at Ft Leavenworth, Kansas, in July, 1940, was ordered to Ft Benning, Georgia, to organize and command the 2nd Reconnaissance Battalion of the 2nd Armored Division. January 1941 he was under Gen. Patton at Ft Benning and was instructed to train his 2nd Reconnaissance Battalion in the art of successful scouting and patrolling and to be able to do this in advance of a large armored column. In June 1942, Col. White was assigned as Regimental Commander of the 67th Armored Regiment. It was with elements of this group that he invaded Africa, at Safi, French Morocco, on 8 November 1942. After the landings in Africa he was given command of the divisions Combat Command "B" and directed that unit, landing at Gela, Sicily on 10 July 1943 and continued the campaign through out the Sicily. The success of this campaign was due in part to his "development of new training techniques and methods of amphibious operations involving armored units" and for having trained his Regiment "to a high state of combat efficiency". It also showed that his successes in repulsing the strong enemy attack which threatened a beachhead in the Sicilian campaign and his flanking attack which aided in the capture of Palermo. General Harmon had General White headed two tasks forces under the Combat Command "B" during the Ardennes Offensive. He would become Commanding General of the 2nd Armored Division from 19 January 1945 to 8 June 1945. He was commandant of the Cavalry School at Ft. Riley, Kansas from July 1945 to Dec. 1946. Dec.  1946 through May 1948 commanding general U.S. Constabulary in Germany. May 1948 through Nov. 1950 Commandant of the Armored School and commanding general of the Armored Center, Aug. 1951 through Aug. l1952. He subsequently commanded X Corps in Korea in Aug. 1952 through Sept.1953, Fourth Army, Ft. Sam Houston, Sept. 1953 through June 1955 Army Forces, Far East; and Eighth Army , Korea ( July 1955-June 1957 ) and from July 1957 until retirement in 1961 , General White was Commander in Chief , U.S. Army Pacific. More later on this outstanding officer.