Scroll down for other units:

14th Armored Field Artillery Battalion:

The 14th Armored Field Artillery Battalion was originally organized 23 May 1917 at Ft. Sill, Oklahoma as the 14th Field Artillery Regiment. The regiment was inactivated 1 September 1921, though elements of the regiment were activated for brief periods of existence between 1922 and 1936. The insignia of the 14th was taken from the shield of the Satan, Kiowa Indian chief. The insignia carries the motto "EX HOC SIGNO VICTORIA"--WITH THIS SIGN VICTORY. First Commander was Col. R. P. Shugg. On 15 July 1940 at Fort Benning, Georgia, the regiment was redesignated as an Armored Field Artillery regiment and was activated as a unit of the 2nd Armored Division, Regular Army. Reorganization and redesignation of the regiment as and Armored Field Artillery Battalion resulted 1 January 1942 from reorganization of the Armored Division structure at the time.

After a period of training in the United States the 14th Armored Field Artillery Battalion as a unit of the 2nd Armored Division, departed the Zone of Interior for Africa, where Battery B won battle honors, including credit for an assault landing, in Algeria-French Morocco campaign, the battalion underwent additional training before participating in the Sicilian campaign, with the entire battalion winning assault landing credit in this campaign. After the Sicilian campaign ended, the battalion restaged in England before landing on the continent of Europe 10 July 1944. Ten months of combat followed during which period the battalion took part in five major campaigns, Normandy, Northern France, ( some of this action described below) Ardennes-Alsace, Rhineland, and Central Europe, won the Distinguished Unit Citation for action in Normandy campaign and was twice cited by the Belgian government and awarded the Belgian Fourragere in the colors of the Croix de Guerre.

Historical account of the 14th FA in Normandy. Operation "Cobra" began at 1100B hours 25 July 1944. The 14th FA had moved to a position just north of Villebaudon, Fr. to support the anticipated attack on Percy, Fr. Soon on the arrival to the new position the battalion was firing both North and South at the same time. The batteries fired south in support of the attack, while the other battery fired north, using Charge 1, at three enemy tanks at the la Denisiere crossroad which the battalion had just passed. The enemy kept control of this crossroad. Some supplies were able to come through the crossroads by using a diversion tactic. On 30 July 1944 the 14th was ordered to move with an attack toward Percy, they formed a column, and while they were in this position the Germans counterattacked, the battalion immediately went into a firing position and was firing point blank to keep from getting overrun by the Germans. All available manpower was used, including cooks, clerks, using small arms to beat back the attack and to keep from being overrun, the artillery was firing direct at about 2000 yds. both east and west at the enemy. And then: 

At the end of 1974 the army announced that it was going to deploy a brigade TDY to Germany for 6 months at a time. It would be called Brigade 75 because it would not start to deploy until then. The 2AD was designated as the unit to deploy forces. One of the first things announced was the initial deploying units and that a new brigade would be activated to replaced the units deploying. The units of the St Lo brigade were the first to go. This was 2-66 AR, 1-41 IN, 1-50 IN, and 1-14 FA. They deployed to Grafenwher, Hoenfels, and Wilflicken(sic). 2-66 AR and 1-14 FA were at Graf with the brigade headquarters and the 498th Spt Bn. 1-41 IN at Hoenhfels and 1-50 IN at "Wild Chicken". We drew all of the equipment from POMCUS stocks and deployed to our homes away from home.

So as you can tell for a period of time the 2AD had four maneuver brigades assigned to it. At one point the 2AD unit up north was replaced in the rotation by a 1CAV infantry unit. This six month rotation went on until 1978 when it was announced that the 2AD Forward would be relocated to Garlstadt in northern Germany. 1-14 FA was one of the units stationed there until the brigade was brought home to the US. Patrick Troy, 1-14 FA

We will continue to add to the history of the 14th FA. Continue on down this page to 1949 through 1996, 2nd Armored Division for the continuing story of the 14th FA.

78th Armored Field Artillery:

The 78th Armored Field Artillery was joined and formed into the 2nd Armored Division on 15 July 1940, and the first commander was Lt. Col. Thomas Handy. More later here.

Action of the 78th Armored Field Artillery Battalion on 29 July 1944: On the morning of 29 July 1944 the 78th Armored Field Artillery Battalion, was in position southwest of Notre-Dame de Cenilly at the important crossroad. The 1st Battalion, 67th AR Regiment had its CP (Command Post) about five hundred yards to the rear of the 78th but there were no tanks supporting or with the 78th.

A small force of the 1st Bn., 67th AR with 1st Lt. Richard C. Moses, a 78th F.O., had progressed about 10,000 yards west but was now cut off. Another small force, the 2nd Bn., 76th AR , under Lt. Col. Wynne, was about 2500 yards west a little bit south of the battalion position. 2nd Lt. George R. Bennett, F.O. , was with this force. About 0710 the battalion had fired 488 rounds on tanks and infantry that was attacking this force. The 41st Inf. was outposting the main road leading southwest about one thousand yards in front of the 78th and was beating off another enemy attack. The 78th had fired several missions at an "88" and supporting infantry about 500 yards to the west of the 41st Inf. outpost. A company of infantry from the 4th Inf. Division with four tank destroyers was in position about two hedgerows (150 yards) north of "B" Battery forming a roadblock across the main paved road. They had their half-tracks and supply vehicles in a small grove just across the road west of "B" Battery. It was very important that this cross-road be held because part of the division mission was to block the escape of the enemy in that area.

Everyone knew there was still plenty of German equipment just north of the crossroad. The 78th had been firing missions at all types of enemy tanks, vehicles, infantry, mortars, etc., using both cub and ground observers. The 78th AR, FA Bn. had the evening before, fired about 700 rounds to stop a break through just north of Notre-Dame de Cenilly. In this general area the 78th alone had fired a total of about 1200 rounds the afternoon of the 28 July 1944.The Division Artillery fired in that area continually. One battery of 155mm Howitzers had been overrun by the enemy. 1st Lt. William W. Barnett, Jr. F.O. for the 78th, had been with the 1st Bn., 67th AR, ever since the break through at St. Lo. Lt. Barnett was the F.O that had fired 700 rounds stopping the attack on the evening of the 28 July 1944. The morning of 29 July 1944 Lt. Barnett was sent with a small task force of tanks and infantry to maintain contact with the enemy and find out what was in the area to the north of Notre-Dame de Cenilly. They pushed north and then west, firing and pushing the enemy back until they were on high ground overlooking the main road that ran north from "B" Battery position. At 0610 Lt. Barnett fired 384 rounds on tanks and infantry about 1400 yds. due north of the crossroad.

About 0800 29 July 1944 there seemed to be a little more small arms fire than usual coming from beyond "B" Battery position. The Battalion Commander, Lt. Col. H.M Exton, sent the Battalion Reconnaissance Officer, Capt. Emmette W. Beuchamp to see what was going on. Capt. Beauchamp reported that there were some enemy infantry attacking the 4th Division outpost, but that it seemed well in hand . The firing got heavier and heavier, it was reported to the CP that a force of 15 enemy tanks and about 250 infantry were attacking the outpost. This information was passed on to C.G. CC "B", Gen. I.D White. About 0900 the half -tracks and supply vehicles of the 4th Division pulled out toward Notre Dame-de-Cenilly. The enemy heavy mortar fire had gotten so bad it was not safe for thin skinned vehicles. The 4th Division's company commander was killed and the men disorganized and fell back into "B" Battery's position. One tank destroyer was knocked out, and when the infantry fell back, the other three pulled out after the supply vehicles. This left only the 78th to hold the crossroad. Upon seeing the vehicles pull out, (the Bn. CP was just across the road from "B" Battery and on a gentle rise) the battalion commander ordered "B" Battery into direct fire positions. He dashed across the road and took personal command of "B" Battery. Ist. Lt. Thomas G. Morris, "B" Battery Executive Officer, already had two M-7's in position pulled into the hedgerow facing the enemy. The other four were immediately spotted along the same row. Lt. Col. Exton had 1st Lt. Earl D. Davis, AST's Executive Officer, organize all the extra personnel in machine gun squads and spotted to cover the M-7's and two squads under 2nd Lt. Ralph W. Burke, Battery Reconnaissance Officer; were sent to hold the battery's left flank. ( The enemy was trying to go around the crossroad to the south) Lt. Robert Kanski, Executive officer of "C" Battery , under his direction 4th gun section fired 2 rounds at a distance of 200 yards at a Mark 1V tank and destroyed it. Lt. Kanski continued to expose himself to extreme danger by moving from gun to gun directing fire. Lt. Kanski would receive the Silver Star for his heroic action, he is an American hero. 

92nd Armored Field Artillery Battalion:

The 92nd Armored Artillery Battalion was activated on 8 January 1942, the men coming from the 14th and 17th Armored Artillery Battalions. Time out please: At noon on 4 July 1944 about 280 guns took part in the salute to Independence Day, the 92nd Armored Artillery Battalion took part in this celebration effort. During three days on 5- 8 July 1944, the 92nd Armored Artillery fired in support of the Royal Horse Artillery and the 50th British Brigade. The 92th with others helped to break up a counterattack west of Hottot, France destroying four tanks and killing eight infantry. Prior to the St. Lo.( referred to as operation Cobra ) breakthrough the 92nd Armored Artillery Battalion was assigned to the division reserve and to be in direct support of the 41st Armored Infantry Regiment (division reserve). Division reserve was commanded by Col. Sidney R. Hinds. Operation Cobra started on 25 July 1944 at 0945. On 28 July 1944 about 0300 in the afternoon a frontal attack was made by the Germans from the direction of Cerisy la Salle and directed toward Pont Brocard, & Notre Dame De Cenilly. The 92nd Armored Field Artillery was of material assistance in breaking up these attacks, some times by direct fire.

On the night of 29-30 July 1944 the 92nd Artillery, moving to a new position, had to fight its way into its area near Bois de Soulles, France. When Combat Command "B" called for fire support, the battalion complied although they were also under attack at the time. The Germans were so close that one self-propelled howitzer was sent to engage a German self-propelled gun with direct fire, while "C" Battery faced in another direction to destroy another second gun. Please remember that the Armored Field Artillery were very mobile, not by choice but by necessity in order to survive. Because of the rapid advance of the 2nd Armored Division pockets of heavy resistance were sometimes bypassed causing some concern and definite risk to normally units that were supposed to be secure in their operation. Artillery units were moving rapidly to keep within range of the enemy. When the Germans finally fell back, the artillerymen found 150 dead, along with many damaged or abandoned vehicles. About 0100 on 30 July 1944 the 92nd was called upon to place artillery fire 200 yards in front of the divisions main forces to prevent them from a frontal attack by the Germans.

On 3 October 1944 again crossed the German border this time crossing the Wurm River at Marienberg, attacking the Siegfried Line frontally. Combat Command "B" consisting of 41st Infantry Regiment, 76th Armored Regiment,, 78th and 92nd Armored Field Artillery Battalions, assisted the 30th Infantry Division in scouring Palenberg, pushing on to take Ubach and later Frelenberg, Waurichen, and Beggendorf. On 11-30 October 1944 in the vicinity of Neerbeek, the 2nd Armored Division and the German forces maintained defensive positions. Employing 110 or more artillery pieces, Division artillery fired more than 45,000 rounds into enemy territory during the three week period from 11-31 October 1944 Division artillery units included the 14th, 78th, 92, and attached 65th Armored Field Artillery. Heavy fire was laid into the following towns Hongen, Friealdenhoven, Rottgen, Puffendorf, Floverich, Gereonsweiler, Setterich, Siersdorf, Geilenkirchen, which were being used as communications and assembly centers.

Later on 9 January 1945 while flushing out the Germans around Samree, Belgium the 92th Armored Artillery was shelling a woods nearby and flushed out three German tanks two escaped , one destroyed and burned on the spot.

Late on the evening of 28 February 1945 the 92nd Armored Artillery Battalion overran and captured a four-gun 105mm battery near Grevenbroich, Germany.The advance was so fast that some artillery units had to clear their areas of lagging Germans who were left behind by the retreating forces in order to setup their guns. On 30 March 1945 the 82nd Reconnaissance Battalion was advancing far to the front of the division main forces around the Haltern-Dulmen line, that they caught up with a train. Reporting this to division this was passed on to the 92nd Armored Artillery, they fired an artillery salvo and cut the train in half.. The prisoners taken from the train thought that the American forces were still on the other side of the canal ( Dortmund-Ems Canal ), they had no idea we were on the east side. Then on to occupy Berlin for the forty five days in July, August 1945. In 1948 at Ft. Hood, Texas Lt. Col. C.E. Stuart was commanding officer.

The 92nd Armored Field Artillery Battalion also served in the Korean Conflict.

702nd Tank Destroyer Battalion:

Co. "C", and Operation Cobra: Co. "C" of the 702nd Tank Destroyer Battalion operated with "CCB" during Operation Cobra, while the balance of the battalion was attached to support "CCA". The mission of the 3rd platoon of "C" Company was to accompany the advance guard or right flank force headed by Maj. William P. Ring, Jr., of the 1st battalion, 67th Armored Regiment. Mission of the 1st and 2nd platoons was to proceed with the main body the ultimate objective was L'engronne, where these two platoons were to assist in establishing road blocks on the three roads coming into L'engronne from the north, south, and west.

The 3rd platoon had no action of note in accompanying Major Ring's force.. Of the other two platoons, Capt. Lyon said the the 2nd platoon had the warmest time. During the German counterattack at the la Penetiere crossroads, the 2nd platoon destroyed two Mark IV tanks on the night of 28-29 July 1944. From la Penteiere, the 1st and 2nd platoons proceeded on 29 July 1944 through St. Martin-de-Cenilly, thence turning southwest below St. Martin-de-Cenilly to Hambye, and then southeast through St. Denis le Gast toward l'engronne. Capt. Lyon considers that the outstanding action of the entire company was the work of a single M10 on the St. Denis-le-Gast to L' engronne road on the morning of 30 July 1944, when a German armored column was destroyed in front of the 78th Armored Field Artillery Bn.. "CP" T/5 Mellon tells the following story of this exploit; Cpl. O'Malley corrected grid, corroborated certain details as he went along, until the two agreed on the facts. After we passed through St. Denis-le-Gast on 29 July on the way to outpost the three roads at L'engronne, we received orders from Gen. White to detach two M10's from the rest of the 2 platoons and return to St. Denis-le-Gast to assist in protecting that town from the threat of a counterattack. Our M10 was commanded by Sgt. Kenneth Oxenreider; the other two men besides ourselves were Pvt. Wilbur W. Paulk and Pvt. Bruno Wadowski. "About 2300 , we took up positions by the cemetery just north of the town of St. Denis-le-Gast.. Just before midnight, somebody reported some tanks at the crossroads where the road goes to L'engronne we went down to investigate , found the report false, and pulled back into our old position by midnight. About that time, German infantry started fighting into our position around the cemetery; and we turned to go back once more south to the crossroads at (31444). We stayed there for about an hour and a half, during which the enemy sent in a lot of mortar fire and threw up flares. An M8 assault gun was hit right next to us and went up in flames after a mortar hit on the turret. We could be observed very easily and they started throwing more mortars at us. We did not see where the other M10 was, but we knew we were in a pretty hot spot and it got even more uncomfortable when the enemy infantry started to overrun our positions.

"Then a mortar made a direct hit on the rear of our M10. The hit knocked out one motor, tearing a hole through the rear idler, bent up the bogy, chopped up the track, tore up the radiator and punctured the oil pan. So we had only one motor, and that without either oil or water.In this condition, we cranked up the motor and decided it would be best to try and make our way back to the rest of the company around L' engronne. Some lieutenant tried to get us to go up toward the cemetery again, but we had better ideas. "The mortar shell caused no casualties among our personnel, but Pvt. Wadowski had a slight bullet wound incurred earlier in the evening when the German infantry started to come through.. We started down the road toward L'engronne, but the motor without oil and water got hotter and hotter, and our M10 was pretty difficult to steer. Finally we had to pull off the road about 100 yards east of the "CP" of the 78th FA Bn. Our left track was still on the road. " It was 0225 ( this would be 2:25 AM in the morning) when we called the company commander and told him that we had been knocked out, and where we were. He said in reply: "stay there till morning; you're in safe territory." About five minutes after that we heard tanks coming west from St. Denis-le-Gast. I could see their guns and big broad tracks, so I yelled: 'Here come Heinie tanks'." "Sgt. Oxenreider got upon the turret and wanted to open fire on them immediately, and he grabbed the .50 caliber gun, but we restrained him and talked him into not firing until after the column had passed. " Peculiarly enough, the Germans did not bother us at all when they passed by. We kept quiet, and the hatch open. They must have seen the damage caused to the rear of the M10, and must have thought it was just another abandoned, knocked out vehicle."After the entire column had passed our position, we could hear the start of the commotion up ahead as the 78th began to challenge the lead vehicle. The last vehicle was only 20-25 yards ahead of us. A minute or two later, a .50 caliber from a 78th's half-track started firing at the German column. Immediately, Cpl. O'Malley traversed our 3" gun around to the left and lowered it for direct fire on the last vehicle in the line, which was a big personnel carrier with a load of German infantry. "I could observe through the hatch and yelled throw a round in and let 'em have it." Pvt. Wadowski loaded the gun once, and as the breech-block slammed the German infantry in the personnel carrier started to catch on fire and they yelled 'Kamerad, Kamerad..! We just commenced firing,, but they didn't fire back, just continued to yell 'Kamerad.' The first round ignited the personnel carrier, and then we started the fire up the column. We fired a total of 28 rounds up the column. When the 78th started leveling their M7's for direct fire from the front of the column, the fire was coming in our direction and we had to dismount and move off the road to the north. We gave Wadowski first aid, but none of the rest of the crew was hurt."

(Capt. Lyon states that although there is a great deal of dispute as to who was responsible for destroying the German column, the next day we found unmistakable penetrations by the 3-inch gun in the rear of nine trucks, self-propelled guns and armored vehicles) "This is the actual action report filed by the 702nd Tank Destroyer Bn.".

1948 thru 1949: 2nd ARMORED DIVISION

The 2nd Armored Division was stationed at what was then known as Camp Hood, TX. The division included: one tank Battalion, the 66th Bn., 41st AIR, 17th Armored Engineer Bn., 82 Reconnaissance Bn., 2 AFA Bns. the 508th ( all Afro-American) and the14th AFA The 92 AFA was formed during this period of time. ( the Army was being integrated and the 92nd was formed as an integrated unit with troops from the 14th AFA and the508th ?). Division artillery was also reconstituted at this time. If you have further information of this period of time send it to us, we would appreciate.

1950 thru 1954: 2nd Armored Division Combat Command B

Colonel Briard P. Johnson was reassigned to the 2nd Armored Division in January, 1951 as commanding officer of Combat Command B. He is a graduate of the Command General Staff College in 1947, of the War College in 1950 and has 19 years active Army service to his credit. During World War 2 Col. Johnson served as executive officer of the 67th Armored Regiment. He has seven battle stars to his credit. Col. Johnson is a native of Massachusetts, a graduate of Norwich University, he holds a civil engineering degree.

Shortly after its reorganization at Ft. Hood, Texas in June 1951, Combat Command B was selected to parade in New Orleans on July 4th just prior to departure for Europe. Despite sweltering weather the men and officers of CC B more than upheld the Division's reputation for smart appearance and precise marching. Then they boarded the transport ships Blatchford and Mitchell and headed for Mainz, Germany. The 2nd Armored did extensive here in Germany, participating in the field exercises named "Jupiter" which was featured by a crossing of the Rhine on ferries and pontoon bridges. They then returned to Mainz and participated in exercise called "Combine". Much training was done in tank firing in Belsen. Christmas, 1951 was the first many of the men were away from home.. Some families come with the troops to Germany and lived there during the length of time the division was in Germany.

1954 to 1996: 2nd Armored Division

Returning to Ft. Hood in 1957 the division continued to train for combat readiness,1500 advance troops were sent to standby for the the Berlin crisis in November 1961, but were not needed. In March of 1962, 2nd Armored Division was assigned to the Strategic Army Corps (STRAC), a force ready to be deployed anywhere in the world within 72 hours notice. All M41 Walker Bulldog light tanks were turned in late 1961 or early 1962, and then they drew M48. The 15th Cav. became the 2nd Sqd 1st Cav. The infantry bn. in the division received two tank assignments to the Hqs. Co. 2nd of the 41st Infantry and was there throughout :December 1963. . In the fall of 1963 the division took part in the exercise " Big Lift ", they were airlifted to Germany for this. They were a part of exercises Long Thrust X and Desert Strike in 1964. In 1965 the 2nd Armored participated in exercise " Silver Hand " at Ft. Hood, TX. In November of 1965 the Division's primary goal was changed from operational to Basic Combat Training on into May, 1967. In 1967 several units of the 2nd Armored were deployed to Vietnam, in August, the 2nd Squadron, 1st Cavalry departed to join the 4th Infantry Division, and in September the 1st Battalion, 50th Infantry joined the 1st Cavalry Division in Vietnam. Later the elements of the 17th Engineers and 87 Chemical Detachment were assigned to the 198th Light Infantry Brigade as was Troop "H", 17th Cavalry, a unit activated and organized, and trained by the 2nd Armored Division.

In Sept. 1967, 2nd Armored in the hurricane "Beulah" were giving assistance in and around Harlingen, Tex. In 1968 the division continued to train. Selected units from the division were deployed to Vietnam, they were 5th Battalion, 46th Infantry (Mech.), which joined the 198th Light Infantry Brigade of the Americal Division, and the 499th Medical Detachment, which deployed for Vietnam in early summer. In April the division organized a unit to be used for civil disturbances called Task Force 11, for use in the aftermath of the Dr. Martin Luther King assassination. It turned out they were not needed. Training continued through 1968, and 1969, 1970, and in May 1971 the division received a new unit the 8th Battalion, 60th Air Defense Artillery. It was a composite Battalion of two Vulcan and two Chapparral batteries. Activated at Ft. Bliss in November 1970, and trained at McGregor Range, New Mexico, the 8/60 quickly proved itself an asset to the "Hell on Wheels" fighting family. In September 1972, the 8th Battalion, 60th Air Defense Artillery was redesignated as the 2nd Battalion, 5th Air Defense Artillery. Training continued in different phases on into 1972, 1973 and on. In 1978-79 the Division stationed a brigade force at Garlstadt in Northern Germany. Control Headquarters was named 2nd Armored Forward, the brigade consisted of the 2-66th Armor, 3-41st Infantry, 2-50 Infantry, 1-14th Artillery and elements of the 2-1 Cavalry, 17th Engineers and one Division Support Command. The 1/14th FA. in 1993 was attached to a unit that PCS'd from Ft. Polk to Ft. Hood in June 1993. that unit was attached to 2AD from that point as far as I know until it was deflagged. (For more go to top of page ).

66th Armored Regiment list on different page hit 66th on units page, for 1944-45

67th Armored Regiment:

67th Armored Regiment 1917 through 1946: At Camp Cody, near Gettysburg, Pennsylvania, In the dark days of 1917, the then recently formed 65th Engineer Battalion was a converted into tank Battalion and redesignated the 301st Tank Battalion ( Heavy) . In the fall of 1917. It was shipped to England where British Mark V and Mark V star tanks were drawn. This was done near Wool, England in a Tank Training Center In the summer of 1918 the battalion went to France where it received its battle initiation with the American Infantry 27th Division.. assigned to the 301st Tank Brigade under which it fought on the plains of Picardy, France through the end of World War I. The 301st first battle was the attack on the Hindenburg Line in September 1918, where it suffered heavy losses from anti-tank mines. After the Armistice it was banded together with the 303rd Tank Brigade under the command of General George S. Patton . In 1919 then Col. Patton brought the Brigade back to Camp Meade, Maryland. In 1931 it combined with the Infantry School at Ft. Benning Georgia. In 1932 became the medium tank Regiment known as 67th Armored Regiment.  As far as I knew, the unit crest for the 67th Armored Battalion [which included it's "regiment"  incantations] has always been an erupting volcano superimposed on a red top / gold bottom shield. 

In 1958, the regiment returned to the

Fought through all the African and Europe campaigns, as a part of the 2nd Armored Division, more later activated on 5 June 1940 in anticipation of World War II, the regiment returned to the Regular Army at Fort Benning , Georgia. Elements of the 67th Armored Regiment participated in the invasion of French Morocco, the fight across North Africa, and the invasion of Sicily. The 67th Armored Regiment ( as a part of the 2nd Armored Division ) also participated in the Normandy and Ardennes campaigns which completed the destruction of Nazi Germany and sealed the Allied victory in Europe.

1945 through 1954: Returned to the United States in 1946, and designated as the 67 Tank Battalion, Medium. In September of 1948 was activated in Ft. Hood , Texas as a part of the 2nd Armored Division. Remained at Ft. Hood, Texas until 1951 when they shipped to Germany, and became part of the NATO forces. T

With the end of the war, the regiment returned to the United States and experienced numerous changes in designation and status, and continuing on after WW2.

Following World War II, the regiment remained in Germany as a member of the Occupation Force helping to rebuild Western Europe. The 3rd Bn., 67th Armored Regiment shortly returned to combat with the initiation of hostilities in Korea in October 1950. . Assigned to the 24th Infantry Division, 8th Army, the regiment distinguished itself throughout the duration of the Korean War.

In 1958, the regiment returned to the United States and experienced a period of extensive transitions and movements ending up in Fort Hood, Texas in 1975.

From my recollections, 1st 67th Armor, 1st or 2nd 50th Infantry and a signal unit [52nd?] were relocated to Germany during the first rotation from roughly February, 1975 through August 1975. A battalion of the 66th Armor, and other sundry support units, followed during the second rotation shortly before I was discharged from service. Friends of mine in both 66th and 67th Armor later told me that each unit in the 2 AD rotated to Germany for six month stints at a time until all units had spent brief tours on European soil. Apparently this was the US Army's means of bolstering NATO unit strengths without the spousal and dependent baggage that frequently follows GI's in assignments around the world. Two of my friends actually PCSed to Germany independent of 2 AD's unit rotations and gave me some interesting accounts of some of these units on temporary overseas deployment after my own discharge.

Your reports of 67th Armor's deployment in 1978-79 would suggest to me that this unit rotation scheme, or some variant of it, was still being conducted far longer than I would have suspected.
 Elements of the 67th Armored Regiment 9 3/76 ) returned to a combat area in 1990 during Operation Desert Shield. During " Operation Desert Storm "'. Deployed there as a part of the 1st ( Tiger ) Brigade, attached to the 1st Cavalry Division. the battalion was attached to the 2nd Marine Division and participated in the liberation of Kuwait, achieving its objective to the outskirts of the city, within 72 hours. where they continued to demonstrate a proud fighting spirit and determination. The 3rd Battalion of the 2nd Armored left the division on 21 May 1991, as the battalion was relieved from the division and assigned to the 3rd ( Gray Wolf ) Brigade, 1st Cavalry Division. Returning to the United States, the 67th Armored Regiment is currently is composed of four tank battalions. The 1st and 3rd assigned to the 4th Infantry Division (Mechanized), Fort Hood, Texas while the other two recently left the 1st Armored Division, Friedberg, Germany (The Rock).

Service Changes:

Constituted 24 March 1923 in the Regular Army as Company A, 19th Tank Battalion, Redesiginated 1 September 1929 as Company A, 2nd Tank Regiment. Converted and redesignated 25 October 1932 as Company A, 67th Infantry (Medium Tanks) Converted and redesignated 15 July 1940 as Company A, 67th Armored Regiment, an element of the 2nd Armored Division. Reorganized and redesignated 25 March 1946 as Company D, 6th Tank Battalion and remained an element of 2nd Armored Division, Redesignated 31 January 1949 as Company D, 6th Medium Tank Battalion. (6th Medium Tank Battalion relieved 14 July 1950 from assignment to the 2nd Armored Division; assigned 29 October 1950 to the 24th Infantry Division) Disbanded 10 November 1951 in Korea Reconstituted 3 December 1954 in the Regular Army as Company D, 6th Tank Battalion, an element of the 24th Infantry Division. Reactivated 22 December 1954 in Japan. Relieved 1 July 1957 from assignment to the 24th Infantry Division; concurrently reorganized and redesignated as Headquarters and Headquarters Company, 1st Medium Tank Battalion, 67th Armor, and assigned to the 2nd Armored Division (organic elements concurrently constituted and activated) Reorganized and redesignated 1 July 1963 as the 1st Battalion, 67th Armor. Relieved 21 May 1991 from assignment to the 2nd Armored Division and assigned to the 1st Cavalry Division.Relieved 16 December 1992 from assignment to the 1st Cavalry Division and assigned to the 2nd Armored Division. Relieved 16 January 1996 from assignment to the 2nd Armored Division and assigned to the 4th Infantry Division (Mechanized)  


World War 1, Somme Offensive, World War II, * Algeria-French Morocco (with arrowhead) Sicily * Normandy * Northern France * Rhineland * Ardennes-Alsace,* Central Europe, Korean War, * UN Defensive * UN Offensive* CCF Intervention * First UN Counteroffensive * UN Summer-Fall Offensive, Southwest Asia * Defense of Saudi Arabia * Liberation of Kuwait * Cease-Fire,

Decorations: * Presidential Unit Citation (army), Streamer embroidered NORMANDY Presidential Unit Citation (army), Streamer embroidered SIEGRIED LINE * Presidential Unit Citation (army), Streamer embroidered KOKSU-RI * navy Unit Commendation, Streamer embroidered SAUDI ARABIA-KUWAIT * Belgian Fourrage 1940 * Cited in the Order of the Day of the Belgian Army for action in BELGIUM * Cited in the Order of the Day of the Belgium Army for action in the ARDENNES

Distinguished Unit Citations, 2nd Armored Division WW 2:

Co. H, 41st Armd. Inf. Regt.: 9-14 August 1944, in France.

78th Armd. FA Bn.: 29 and 30 July 1944 near Notre Dame de Cenilly and St. Denis le Gast in Normandy, France.

Co. E, 17th Armd. Engr. Bn.: 11 March 1945 to 13th April 1945 during the advance of the 2nd Armored Division from the Rhine to the Elbe River in Germany.

2nd Bn. 66th Armd. Regt.: 26 July to 12 August 1944, preparatory to and during the advance of the 2nd Armored Division from the general vicinity of St. Lo to the Argentan-Falaise pocket.

3rd Bn. 66th Armd. Regt. 26 July and 1 August 1944 inclusive, in France, for spearheading the advance of Combat Command "A", 2nd Armored Division, which had been given the mission of protecting the entire flank of Operation Cobra.

82nd Armd. Rcn. Bn.: 3 April to 17 April, screening operation in the drive from the Rhine to the Elbe River.

Hq. And Hq., 41st Armd. Inf. Regt.: 29-30 July 1944, in France.

92nd Armd. FA Bn.: 28-30 July 1944 in France in support of CC "B" and CC "R," 2nd Armored Division, with the mission of cutting rapidly to the southeast from Canisy and isolating all German Forces in the Cherbourg Peninsula.

3rd Bn. 67th Armd. Regt.: 4-6 October 1944 in piercing and breaking the German Siegfried Line in the vicinity of Ubach.

2nd Bn. 41st Armd. Inf. Regt.: 17 to 28 November 1944 in Germany in an attack to bridge an anti-tank ditch east of Puffendorf.

14th Armd. FA Bn.: 26 July to 16 August 1944 advance vicinity of St. Lo, France, to the Argentan-Falaise pocket.

1st Bn. 67th Armd. Inf. Regt.:18 to 28 November 1944 in an advance to the western banks of the Roer River.

1st Bn. 41st Arnd Inf. Bn.: 22 December 1944 to 16 January 1945 in the Ardennes in a drive from Ciney through Brazards, Connealux, Conjoux, Soinne, Grandmenil, and Odeigne, Belgium, and on to Houffalize.

17th Armd. Engr. Bn. : 22 December 1944 to 17 January 1945 for operations during the German Ardennes breakthrough.

Hq. and Hq. Co., 2nd Bn.: ( less assault gun platoon ), Co. E and the 3rd Platoon of Co. B., 67th Armd. Regt.; Co. I, 41st Armd. Inf. Regt.; 1st Platoon, Co. C.

238th Engr. Bn.: 29-30 July 1944 in the vicinity of Grimesnil, France during the St. Lo Breakthrough operation. 

My father, Lawrence Cane, was a Lt. with the 238th Engr. Combat Bn. During Operation Cobra, July 27-30, Co. C of the 238 Battalion operated in direct support of Combat Command "B" of the 2nd Armored Division, with my father's platoon, commanded by Lt. John B. Wong, being with the point, and my father in charge of a heavy weapons platoon. On the night of July 29-30, the lead elements of CCB were in danger of being cut off by superior German armored forces attempting to break out of a trap near Grimesnil and St. Denis Le Gast. My father volunteered to find a route out. For his actions he was awarded a Silver Star, for which the citation is reproduced below. The entire platoon of Company C, 238th Engr. Combat Bn, was awarded the Distinguished Unit Citation. Although my father died in 1976, I have recently been in contact with Lt. Col (ret) John Wong, who described to me the events of July 29-30 and confirmed the Distinguished Unit Citation.. I hope this information is useful to you., David Cane

Silver Star Citation - Lawrence Cane:

HEADQUARTERS 2D ARMORED DIVISION, Office of the Division Commander, APO 252

200.6 Cane, Lawrence SUBJECT: Award of the Silver Star

TO: First Lieutenant Lawrence Cane, 0-1110976

Corps of Engineers, United States Army

Under the provisions of Army Regulations 600-45, as amended, you are awarded the Silver Star for gallantry in action by Section I, General Order Number 43, this Headquarters, dated 25 September 1944, as set forth in the following:


First Lieutenant Lawrence Cane, 0-1110976 Corps of Engineers, 238th Engineer Combat Battalion, United States Army. For gallantry in action on 30 July 1944 in France. During the night of 30 July 1944, the advance guard of Combat Command "B", 2d Armored Division, consisting of some thirty medium tanks and forty other motor vehicles, was in danger of encirclement and annihilation by superior enemy forces attempting to break out of a trap. Lieutenant Cane, despite intense enemy small arms and mortar fire volunteered to personally reconnoiter a route for these vehicles and tanks in order to contact friendly forces. The reconnaissance was made in complete darkness at a time when the enemy situation was unknown, and resulted in encountering strong enemy patrols which infiltrated into the area and cut the roads. The enemy halted Lieutenant Cane's repeated attempts to find a route with intense machine gun and small arms fire. Despite these factors and with complete disregard for his personal safety, Lieutenant Cane voluntarily and determinedly continued his reconnaissance and found a safe route of withdrawal. By means or the route discovered by this reconnaissance, the tanks and vehicles were safely evacuated to the 2d Armored Division Reserve and saved from possible encirclement and destruction. Entered Military Service from New York.

S/E.N. Harmon

T/E.N. HARMON, Major General, U. S. Army, Commanding


2d Armored Division

"I certify that the above is a True Copy"


1st Lt. 238th Engr C Bn


APO 230, U. S. ARMY

7 August 1944


Personally appeared before me, the undersigned, authorized by law to administer oath, in this and like cases, on John B. Wong, 01109765, 1st Lt., 238 Engrs

Who Deposes and Sayeth:

"On 30 July 1944, I was a witness to Lt. Cane's Gallantry in action against the enemy. I personally saw Lt. Cane, under intense enemy machine gun, small arms, and mortar fire, voluntarily evacuate some seventy vehicles, including 30 tanks, that were the advance guard of one of our columns and which was in danger of being cut off. Lt. Cane, without regard for his personal safety and in complete darkness proceeded the column and drew fire, which was the only way of determining which roads were cut, thereby finding an escape route for the column."Further Deponent Sayeth not:

John B. Wong, 1st LT CE

Subscribed and Sworn to before me this 7th of August 1944

William F. Rule, 1st Lt., 238th Engr. C. Bn.

--Prof. David E. Cane

Department of Chemistry, Box H

Brown University, Providence, Rhode Island 02912-9108 USA

Tel: 401-863-3588, Fax: 401-863-3556


3/67th Armored Regiment, 1950, 1990 was assigned to the 24th Infantry in October 1950, about 25 years. reassigned, after a stint in the Army Reserves, rejoined the 2nd. In 1990 the battalion deployed as part of the 1st ( Tiger ) Brigade, attached to the 1st Cavalry Division, to Saudi Arabia for " Operation Desert Shield ". During this operation the battalion was attached to an element of the 2nd Marine Division and participated in the liberation of Kuwait, achieving an objective on the outskirts of Kuwait City in 72 hours. The Battalion then left the 2nd Armored in May 21, 1991 and assigned to the 3rd ( Grey Wolf ) Brigade, 1st Cavalry Division. Later in 1993 rejoining the 2nd Armored Division in Ft. Hood, Texas.

B/67, 2nd Bn.., Armored Regiment, 1991. Served operationally under three Armored Divisions, 1st, 2nd, 3rd. The tankers of the 2-67 Armor served with the 3rd Armored Division during the Persian Gulf War. They were part of the 7th Corps that smashed Saddam Hussein's Republican Guard. On the evening of February 26, 1991, they participated in the 3rd Division's toughest battles of Desert Storm, defeating elements of the Iraqi Tawakalna Division. They were deployed from Frieberg, Germany in December, 1995 to serve in Bosnia under the 1st Armored Division. Destination Taszar, and on south via the Sava River, then on to Camp McGovern. There they served with three cavalry troops as part of Task Force 3-5 Cav. in the 1st Brigade Team. They provided security for the city of Brcko, also providing security for other troops in the area and base security.

68th Armored Regiment: 1940-1941

The 68th Armored Regiment was in the early planning of the 2nd Armored Division in Ft. Benning, Georgia under the command of Brig. General George S. Patton, in 1940. In 1941 the Company Commander of "A" Company 68th Armored Regiment was Gen. Patton's son in law , then Captain John K. Waters. The 68th was shortly hereafter terminated and the men were assigned to other units of the 2nd Armored Division. We have a roster of company "A" for this time period, dated December 25, 1941, for the Christmas dinner held that day by Co. "A". On the menu was the following Oyster Cocktail, Cream of Celery Soup, Olives, Mixed Pickles, Celery Hearts, Roast Turkey with Oyster Dressing, Cranberry Sauce, Giblet Gravy with Rice, Asparagus Tips, Creamed Peas, Apple and Date Salad, Candied Sweet Potatoes, Creamed Cauliflower, Mince Pie, Ambrosia, Ice Cream, Pound Cake, Crackers, Hot Rolls, Tangerines, Oranges, Apples, Bananas, Grapes;, Coffee, Lemonade, Candy, Cigarettes, Cigars

Forty-Eighth Medical Battalion

Col. Abner Zehm was the Battalion Commander in 1941 up until February of 1942, when Major John S. Wier became the Battalion Commander.He asked for surgical trucks, the army give him six thousand dollars and told him to build his own surgical trucks. He took 6 two-and-a-half-ton -trucks and built them. The battalion was sent to Africa, landing in the Casablanca Safi area in 1942. In the spring of 1943 they proceeded to Arzew in Algeria, then on to Tunis. On to Sicily and then to England and Tidworth Barracks for and extended period of time. The battalion landed on Omaha beach on D+3 at 1:00PM. Col. Maurice Rose had gone over with the advance party and was already on the beach and told them that the infantry was about 5 miles in, The battalion stayed with the 2nd Armored Div. throughout the advance on into Germany and then to Berlin. Col. Wier said: "quote," Our biggest problem during the Battle of the Bulge from a medical standpoint was frostbite. This is one time when supply had failed us. We had no adequate winter clothing, We had no overshoes. We were fighting in snow , sometimes up to 3 feet deep. The temperature went down to well below zero every night, and fog would roll in from the sea and coat everything with ice."end quote." Our medic in "A" Co. 82nd Recon's name was Everett W. Christenson, we called him Chris, he was with us until January 12, 1945. On this day we were ordered to take three squads up into the snow covered mountains near Samree, Belgium, and try to clean out a small group of Germans holding out there. We drove our vehicles as far as we safely could up into the mountain into a clearing a short distance from where we were to dismount and organize the squads to advance. We were dressed not for this kind of weather, no overshoes or wool clothing of any kind. It was so cold the snow made a crunching noise under your feet, we could hardly keep our hands warm enough to fire our weapons. As we advanced into the trees three of our men were shot immediately within a few minutes and we were signaled to pull back if we could but we continued to get fire which made it difficult to pull back, one man got up to go back and was shot before he made his second step. Chris our medic went to him and was kneeling down trying to give him first aid and was killed instantly. He was wearing his Medic arm band on each arm. We lost four men killed and three wounded. We found out later that almost a regiment of Germans was in the woods, they were all dressed in white to blend with the snow, we couldn't even see them if they did not make some kind of movement. All the Medics were there when we needed them, the 48th Medical Battalion deserves much appreciation

58th Armored Infantry Battalion 1960 was a part of the 2nd Armored in Ft. Hood, Texas for purposes of training in 1960, from there to Southeast Asia and Vietnam. To whom it may concern:(  Note from a viewer the following, we welcome your added information ) in addition to your history associated with the attachment of the 58th Infantry Regiment to the 2nd Armored Division, you should be aware that the 2nd Battalion 58th Infantry was attached to the 2nd Armored Division also beginning in April 1975. In 1976 the unit was rotated to Germany (Hohenfels) in conjunction with the 2nd Armored Division's "Brigade 75" Cold War Mission.
Upon arriving to Germany four (4) squads were assigned to the 10th Special Forces Group.

291st Engineer Combat Battalion:

Until the middle of November 1944, the front was held by three experienced divisions but between then and about 15 December 1944 all three were moved north. In their place came two badly under-strength divisions, the 4th and 28th, which had sustained very heavy casualties assaulting the Seigfried line in the Huertgen forest. They had not yet been reinforced. Also two new divisions had just arrived the 99th and 106th. They had been sent to the Ardennes for combat experience along the vaunted Siegfried Line.The 291st was spread out throughout this area, and were concerned about the wide gaps in the line. The 291st was to be tested in the days to come in the Ardennes. And later would play an important role in the success of the 2nd Armored Division in its rapid advance across the northern plains of Germany. More later. 376 more later.

508th FA Bn: Lt. Col. Walter B. Ligon commandiing officer of the 508th in July 1947 stationed at Fort Hood, Texas. need help on this


588 MI Detachment 1987-89 initially 2AD (FWD) and later designated 588 MI Co. They had an Electronic Warfare Platoon within the Company in Garlstedt, Germany. My understanding was that the company commander reported directly to the Division (FWD) G-2. The company comprised about 115 soldiers at one point

588th Engineer Battalion,1993 was redesignated to the 2nd Armored Division, Engineer Brigade, and relocated to Ft. Hood in May of that year.

3/41IN :  I served in the 2AD, Garlstedt and at Ft. Hood. (I was assigned to Battalion S-3, NBC NCOIC) My name is Brian Donahower, reach him by email at  I served in the 2AD with 3/41IN in both Garlstedt and at Ft. Hood. (I was assigned to Battalion S-3, NBC NCOIC) and was involved in the first unit rotation (Ft. Hood - Garlstedt) in 1986.
I have many B/W photographs of unit rotation ceremonies conducted at Ft.
Hood. I also redesigned the 3/41IN certificate of achievement in 1984, which
was adopted for use in 1985. In fact, I have the original prototype. I also
possess two 2AD (Fwd) coins that were provided to soldiers for outstanding
effort. One of these coins reflects 3/41 IN and 323 Panzer Grenadier
Battalion partnership (then, sister units) I also have several newspapers
that were published on the Kaserne about 2AD, called The Forward Edge. Is
this the kind of historical information you are looking for? Yes this is what we are looking for Brian, We thank you.