Because of limited space, we can only accept veterans of the 2nd Armored Division who have passed away

BUDDY POPPY: Keeping the faith since 1922 over 75 years. Profits from the sale of poppies, (The VFW official flower) have helped countless veterans, their widows and orphans over the years, it is also a perpetual tribute to the veterans who have given their lives for the Nation's freedom.

Taps Lyrics: The Lyrics for TAPS. 


Killed in Action, 1,160 -Died, Non-Battle, 259, Wounded in Action *. 4,410, Injured, Non Battle*, 952, Captured, 55, Missing in Action, 253, Total Days in Battle 238..(2nd Armored Division) 

* Of the wounded and non-battle injured about 3,060 (57%) were returned to duty. WW 2, 2nd Armored Division Casualties. Posted 5 August 1998.

American Battles Monuments Commission: Instructions on how to find burial site in any Military Cemetery.

Death Notices & Obituaries Click Here for additional obituaries.

Amiotte, Walter Douglas: (1920-1994) Born Martin, SD. Died: Phoenix , AZ. 1994..U.S. Army 1943-1946. T/Sgt. Tank Driver, tank name "Momma"; M (Maintenance) Co., 67th AR Regiment , 2nd Armored  Div. Came across Omaha Beach with the last remnants of the 2nd Armored. in the end of June 1944. He was with the same outfit through the "St. Lo. Breakout" to the push towards Berlin. He was injured during the latter part of March 1945 near Magdeburg, Germany when their tank was hit. He received his Purple Heart 25 years later. He recovered and stayed in Europe through the middle of 1946. He was with the 2nd Armored. when they were the honor guard for President Harry S. Truman at the Potsdam Conference.  After returning to South Dakota he married a childhood friend Ida Nelson and  they eventually settled in Phoenix ,Ariz. where they raised 7 children, I being the middle one. I have had a chance to tour Normandy France these past two years. Each time T/Sgt. Walter D. was with me.  He is still missed by this son. Thank you for the opportunity to put T. Sgt. Walter D's. story on line. I know he is watching us, as they all are.  Written by his son.     

Arnone, Frank: (1911 to 3 April 1961) .Entered service from Hoboken, NJ. This is a summary of his military career: 6 January 1943 -accepts commission as 2nd Lt. in AUS 8 February 1943- Leaves for Europe 22 February 1943- Arrives in Europe 3 March 1943, assigned to17th Armored Engineer Battalion, 2nd Armored Division, until 1945., (wounded in Germany 28 September 1944). His battles and campaigns included Sicily, N. France, Ardennes, Normandy, Rhineland, Central Europe. On April 3,1961 he lost the greatest battle of his life to cancer. This, too, was fought with dignity and courage. His love for his wife and two daughters, his country and his God remained with him until the end. Submitted by his daughter, Grace Arnone.  Kern.

Baehman,  Robert F.: (April 26,1918-August 5,2000) died peacefully
and with some of his proudest and most cherished memories of the 82nd
Recn.2nd Armored Company "D" kept him active and thoughtful  right up to
the end. His medals and ribbons will be at his side during the wake and
funeral as well as some of the information he gathered about his unit. We extend our sympathy to the Baehman family.  Respectfully his son, Dennis R. Baehman

Ballard, Wilbur Matthew "Bill" :  (13 March 1920 - 8 January 2000) Served with the 2nd Armored Division, 41st Infantry. He served with the 41st Infantry in North Africa, Sicily and into Europe.  His Overseas Cap, 2nd Armored Division patch and his CIB was laid out with him as was his request.  He was very proud of his service in the 2nd Armored Division and of serving under General Patton.  Bill was originally from Bartow Co., Georgia.  He was proceeded in death by his wife Myrtle Callahan Ballard.  He was survived by 4 children, Billie Jean, James Esmond  "Bo", Johnny, and Helen Sue.  RIP, Old Soldier, you served your country well.

Becker, Wade E. Age, 83, of North Greenbush, Bloomingrove Drive, died Monday, 5 March 2001 at St. Mary's Hospital in Troy after a short illness. Born in Rensselaer, Mr. Becker had lived in North Greenbush since 1946. He worked in factory manufacturing for many years. Mr. Becker was an Army veteran of World War II, serving in the 2nd Armored Division and driving an ammunition truck. He was a former member of the Bailey Mountain Fish and Game Club and the Defreestville Fire Department. Mr. Becker attended St. Joseph's Church in Rensselaer. He was the widower of Ann Dillon Becker. Survivors include a daughter, Dorothy A. Becker of North Greenbush; and a sister, Ann Figel of Westerlo. . Spring burial will be in Bloomingrove Cemetery, North Greenbush. We wish to express our condolences to the Becker family. 

Bisogni,  Boris, SFC. : Sfc.  Bisogni passed away 1 November 1999 in Pontiac , MI. , his hometown . Belated as it is, I wish to honor Sfc Boris who was our beloved boxing coach in Combat Command A, 2nd Armored Div during the 1950's. He was in WW 2, infantry. I don't know what units he served in before 50 nor after 53 because I left 11/52. Sfc  Bisogni was a squad leader in basic training, 2nd squad,1st platoon, D Co, 41st AIB when the 2nd Armored reformed at the beginning of the Korean war. We were sent to Germany 7/51 for " Cold War " defense. After service he worked at General Motors where he retired . Sfc Bisogni was 82 at death. I don't know how much longer he stayed in the service. Submitted by D. W.

Branz, Frank P. : 86, of Lorain, World War II Army veteran and businessman, died Friday at New Life Hospice Center of St. Joseph following a lengthy illness. Born in Freeland, Pa., he had been a resident of Lorain for the past 56 years. Mr. Branz was a WW II veteran, serving with the Army. He was attached to Hdq. Co. Maintenance Battalion, 2nd Armored Div.. He saw extensive service in Normandy, Northern France, Rhineland, Ardennes and central Europe. He was the recipient of the Good Conduct Medal and European African Middle Eastern Service Medal with five bronze stars. He was the proprietor of Frank’s Sohio Station, which was located at the intersection of East 28 and Broadway for more than 20 years. In Nov. 1965, he founded the A to Z Rental Center. He retired operation of the company in 1981. He enjoyed fishing, cooking and traveling to Las Vegas and Laughlin, Nev.

Survivors include his wife of 56 years, Tina (nee Terrizzi); daughters Lynda J. Dolezal of Vermilion and Marian Branz Cormier of Denver; sons Charles and Robert, both of Brownhelm Township; and five grandchildren. He was preceded in death by his parents, Henry and Maria (nee Piazza) Branz; brothers William "Willy" and Joseph; and sisters Angeline Dona and Anna Branz. Gluvna Shimo Hromada Funeral Chapel, 3224 Broadway, Lorain, where a memorial service will be conducted by officers and members of Italian-American Veterans Post 1. funeral Mass at Catholic Church of St. Peter, 3501 Oberlin Ave., Lorain. The Rev. Kenneth Wolnowski, pastor, will officiate. Members and officers of Italian-American Veterans Post 1 will conduct military honors immediately following church service. The family suggests memorials be made to St. Peter Parish Endowment Fund, 3501 Oberlin, Lorain 44053 or to St. Mary Church Endowment Fund, 731 Exchange St., Vermilion 44089 or to New Life Hospice, 5255 N. Abbe Road, Elyria 44035.Elyria, OH- Chronicle-Telegram Internet Edition:

Obituaries for Wednesday, January 01, 2003

Brooks, George: (7 December 1913 to 20 January 1999) Lt. George Brooks was a member of the 82nd Reconnaissance Battalion, 2nd Armored early in its formation at Ft. Benning Ga., He later was sent to Africa and Sicily, taking part in those campaigns as a 2nd Lt. and Platoon leader with "A" Co. and then to Tidworth Barracks, England (to await the invasion of France) He took part in all the campaigns across Europe both as an executive officer of "A" Co. at times was company commander, and platoon leader. 1st Lt. George Brooks was a good officer (he was a tall man) and was well liked by the men who served with him. I remember him well, he was willing to be the first to go forward, leading his men into combat. After WW II he worked as an accountant for a firm in New York.

Bryant, Harold H.(8 March 1920-17 February 1996). Harold entered the service and joined the 2nd Armored Division in July 1940, this is the same month that the division was formed, so he was a member of the original unit in the formation phase. (Gen. George Patton was Commanding General of the 2nd Armored Division during the formative years) Harold served in the 66th Armored Regiment, He was a radioman and earned five service medals, four bronze stars. and was discharged 22 May 1945.  Harold battled Parkinson's Disease for 3 years prior to his death, His survivors include his wife, Barbara Steen Bryant, 3 sons, 1 daughter, 7 grandchildren.  He was an outstanding Christian man who faithfully served his church, community and family in many respects.  His burial place is in Mt. Moriah Baptist Church Cemetery in Wilcox County, Alabama.

Cape, James Thomas: In memory of my Father:. He was a Private in the 2nd Armored Division, Company "C". He entered the Army February 21, 1941, at Fort Benning, Georgia. He was discharged October 17, 1945, at the Separation Center, Camp Gordon. He was a light truck driver and drove trucks to transport personnel, supplies, and equipment. He performed these duties in the United States, England, and under combat conditions in Belgium, France, Holland, and Germany. He was awarded the Distinguished Unit Badge and the Belgium Fourragere Lanyard. My Father passed away: August 19, 1966. He was survived by his wife, Mary Jane Cape, and 3 children; Anita Louise Cape, Patricia Carol Cape, and Lewis Wayne Cape.

Covert, John (Jack) R : (1912-1995) entered service from Philadelphia, PA. He served with Co. B, 82nd Recon. Bn. during WW 2 in the years 1943-1945. Following the war, he relocated to Pittsburgh, PA., where he lived the rest of his life with his wife (Sue) and 4 children. His remains are in a colombarium in Arlington National Cemetery.

Cox, Landon Greaud : (Colonel, US Army Retired), 86, died August 30 at his home in Gaithersburg, Maryland. He was born in New Orleans, Louisiana; graduated from the University of Kentucky in 1936; and began his military career with the Kentucky National Guard. During World War II, he commanded a tank battalion in General Patton's 2nd Armored Division "Hell on Wheels" in North Africa, Sicily, and France. Among his many awards, Colonel Cox received two Silver Stars, a Bronze Star, and a Purple Heart. Postwar Assignments included duty in Germany, Japan and Washington, D.C. He was buried with full military honors at Arlington National Cemetery. The following tribute was composed and read by his daughter, Sarah Cox at his funeral:

Dad and I were old comfortable pals. I have a few memories I'd like to share with you. When I was about 8 years old, he figured it was time for me to learn to play golf. This meant caddying for him at Fort Belvoir, Army Base. We'd drive out in the pitch black, shivering in the over air-conditioned car, smoking a huge cigar and listening to some old fogy AM DJs, Hardin and Weever. We were the very first twosome to T-off. It's still pre-dawn. He'd buy me a supply of Caravel bars and celebratory Sprite for the 18th hole. It was in the eerie misty dawn that I'd hear some of his great and famous stories of the ferocious icy Battle of the Bulge in the Ardennes, unloading ships in some hot and dusty port in North Africa, landing the entire 2nd Armored Division tank battalion in one of the worst storms at Omaha Beach, on D-3, getting shot by German snipers at close range and, with a glint in his eye, besting Old Blood and Guts Patton in some wild goose chase of half tracks and jeeps in the Louisiana Maneuvers. Just as the sun was rising, it was just me and Dad...and Peewee Collier, General Harmon, ID. White, General Patton and that dirty rotten scoundrel Rommel.. To this day I can't meet a German without stifling an urge to "grab him by the nose and kick him in the ass". I would get tired pulling his golf clubs from hole to hole and I noticed a great gismo some other lucky soul had.. a little chair that attached to the golf bag. I informed Dad that I'd be a much better caddy if I could just have one of those. I knew he loved gismos. In his inimitable style, he just nodded and said it would make the bag much heavier. "no", I declared, "it wouldn't". Well, next Saturday, there was my little 50 pound stool. From then on, he pulled the bag with one a, which still gave him a big warm free hand to pull me too. ...Finally, I've become obsessed in family genealogy. Dad successfully feigned enough interest that I papered his apartment with drafts, updates, revisions on the drafts and interim updates of the Cox family history. It turns out that he comes from a long line of military men. His dad was a Dough Boy in WWI, his two great grandfathers were each officers in the Civil War, one in the Union 4th Tennessee Infantry and the other in the Confederate Tennessee Calvary and his great grandfather was an officer in the War of 1812. Here is what I'm picturing...each of these handsome soldiers is standing at attention in full dress uniform waiting for him at the pearly gates. Dad smartly marches up, dressed to the T's wearing all of his medals and ribbons, salutes Saint Peter, "Colonel Landon G. Cox reporting for duty, Sir".

Dannemiller, Danne: Passed away 28 June 1998 in Jacksonville, FL. He was assigned 8th Cavalry 1939 after graduation from USMA at West Point. He held various positions during W.W.II, finally serving as XO 82d Armored Recon (?) until the end of the war. After the war, he held positions in Palestine, Saumur, France at the French School of Cavalry (50-53), then commanded 72d Tank battalion, Ft. Lewis, WA. He later had assignments in Vietnam (55-58), Ft. Leavenworth, KS (58-60), Republic of Congo (Attaché, US Embassy- 60-62) and US Army Special Warfare Center (63-67). He retired and continued in GS until 1973. He retired in Augusta, GA, later moving to Jacksonville, FL. LTC  Dannemiller is survived by MAJ (USAR) E.M. (Ted) Dannemiller II in Evans, GA, CPT (USAR) Milton A. (Bud) Dannemiller of Louisville, KY, and Elizabeth D. Biles of La Grange, KY. He also has three grandchildren, Devin K. Dannemiller, Brett M. Dannemiller, and Shannon Kay Biles. He taught us all that the soldiers entrusted to our care were more precious than gold. RIP- Arlington National Cemetery 23 July 1998.








De Bastiani, Bruno: We have been notified on 11 March 1998 by Mrs. Rosemary Anderson of the death of her father Mr. Bruno De Bastiani who lived in the Springdale, PA area. Mr. De Bastiani passed away on 26 January 1998. He was a member Co. "A" of the 82nd Reconnaissance Battalion, 2nd Armored Division serving in the WW2 era. His daughter stated in her letter that he thought of his army days with pride and fondness. 

Domarecki, Thomas M.: (20 Dec. -1918 to 02 May 2001)  A resident of 236 E. Ludlow St. , Coaldale, PA. 1ST SGT. THOMAS M. DOMARECKI , was in the 2ND ARMORED DIV. 66 ARMORED REG.  "H" CO. was awarded the European -Middle-Eastern Medal with a Bronze Star , was a member of Summit Hill American Legion Post 316. He played semi-pro baseball with the Jersey City Bears, New Jersey. . Mr. Domarecki was member of the Sons of Poland, Mt. Carmel. For 30 years he worked for the Bright's Dept. Store. in Lansford. Surviving are his wife Dorothy M. Thomas: a son Thomas Summit Hill. a brother,  Clement, Mt. Carmel., and three sisters. Emily Brida, Frances Grike  Notice received 5/7/01, Notified by his son, THOMAS M. DOMARECKI JR.. We extend our sympathy to the Domarecki Family.

Dungey, Mr. Georges, (43 yrs old) We have received notice from France that  son of our dear friends Major Ken Dungey and wife Terry,  has passed away after a short illness. We extend our condolences and sympathy to the Dungey family. Mr. & Mr. Dungey are our dear friends in France who have contributed many hours of their time to the advancement of the memorial projects that we have undertaken in France, they are dear friends, they are the friends of the American veteran in France. they do a lot for all of us.       

Erickson, Paul Ernest "Pete": (13 Dec.1916 - 31 Jan1975) Paul Erickson was born at Des Moines, IA on 13 Dec.1916.   He graduated from high school in Des Moines in 1934, then was employed as a meat cutter until he was drafted into the military service in February 1941. Pete had his basic training with the 2nd Armored Div. and was assigned to the Service Co., 66th Armored Regiment at Ft. Benning, GA..   He served 4-1/2 years with 2-1/2 years overseas. He seen combat with the 66th Armored Regiment in North Africa, Sicily, Normandy, Northern France, Ardennes, Rhineland and Central Europe

Pete's last combat assignment was as the personal bodyguard for Gen. Collier who, at that time, was the Commanding General of the 2nd Armored Div. S/Sgt Paul E. Erickson was discharged on 3 July 1945 and was awarded one Silver Star and  two Bronze Stars. Following discharge, Pete was married in Oct 1945.  To this marriage three boys were born. Pete was divorced in September 1969. He was employed from 1945 until 1965 as a salesman and manager for Edison Brothers  Shoe Stores at Chicago, Peoria and Des Moines.  He resigned due to failing health and died on 31 January 1975 from prostate cancer at Veteran's Hospital in Des Moines, IA and was buried in Chapel Hill Gardens, Des Moines, IA. Submitted by his brother, Glen Erickson, Mesa, AZ

Frindik,  Jr. John: (2 Jan.1921 - 7 Nov.1997).Was a Pfc. in the 2nd Armored Division (1942-1945), His commendations, included his Bronze Star earned in Sicily for shooting down a Stuka and his Belgian Fourraguerre, were proudly displayed beside his coffin, as were the United States and American Legion flags. His post from Springfield, La. made his funeral and burial extremely beautiful. Many saluted him as taps was played by an actual bugler, which I hear is not always done. I saluted Dad with my hand over my heart as I am a civilian and wasn't in any uniform. I know this is usually for our flag, but I felt it was necessary. One must make allowances for heroes. He remembered his comrades with reflecting smiles and he still had tears for his fallen friends even unto his death. All through life, he was a man who did everything that was necessary and saw no reason to not do what was necessary, just like he learned as a young man in the 2nd Armored  Division. Wearing his 30 year service lapel pin from the United States Postal Service on one lapel and on his other was a 2nd Armored Division lapel pin, he was buried at the Old Hungarian Presbyterian Church in the Hungarian Settlement near Albany, LA.

Greene, Robert L.:  SFC.,  D Co. 41st AIB,  1950-1953 died of complications
following knee replacement surgery 17 Jan ,2000.  During 50-51 Greene was in the
Ranger Co. until it was disbanded in 1951. He was an agressive , dedicated cadre man as we trained troops who volunteered for Korea ,summer of 1952. In civilian life he was a nationally famous swine breeder. He lost his left arm in a corn picker accident in 1966. His daughter, Robin is with the Los Angeles ,Ca. police department. She is interested in information from anyone who knew him .e-mail her at Thanks, DWL

GURVIS,  Isadore:  age 82, of North Miami Beach, Fla. and Columbus, Oh., died 12 October  2000, following a lengthy illness. Survived by wife, Shirley; sons, Ronald (Sandra) of Columbus, David (Mickie) of Indianapolis, Ind., Dale (Joan) of Greensboro, N.C.; daughter, Cathy Lynn of Chicago, Ill.; brother, Henry (Marjorie) Gurvis of Granville, Oh.; grandchildren, Amy, Joshua, Jessica, Alexander, Zachary and Emily; cousins, nieces and nephews. Izzy was a WW II Veteran, having served with the 82nd Armored Reconnaissance Bn, 2nd Armored Division in Africa, Sicily, England, France, Belgium, Holland and Germany and was the recipient of the Purple Heart, the Good Conduct Medal, Presidential Citation and E. T.O. Ribbon with 4 Invasion Stars. Isadore was a life member of the Jewish War Veterans, the Jewish Historical Society and the Disabled War Veterans and was a member of the American Legion and B'nai Brith. Izzy also belonged to Temple Israel and was a member of Temple Israel Brotherhood, as well as being a member of Agudas Achim Synagogue. He also supported Alyn, a home for children with disabilities in Israel and was one of the charter members of the B'nai Brith Bowling League founded in 1933. Izzy and his brother Henry founded Garee's Auto Glass Co. in 1935 and death has finally ended a brother to brother business relationship of 69 years.  Interment Forest Lawn Cemetery, Temple Israel Section. Memorials preferred to the James Cancer Hospital or the American Heart Association. 

Hartford Jr., James Nicholson: James N. Hartford, Jr. was born Nov. 3, 1918- Died 14 Feb. 2001.  Born in St. Elmo, Tennessee.  He was the son of the late James Nicholson and Ethel Powell Hartford. He graduated from the University of Georgia with an accounting degree. While at UGA he was the ROTC Commander of Cavalry, a member of Sigma Chi Fraternity and editor of the Pandora. He entered the U.S. Army as a Second Lieutenant in July 1941. During World War II, he served under General George S. Patton in the Second Armored Division as a CO.   of Co. A, 82nd Reconnaissance Bn.  in North Africa, Sicily and Europe. He was awarded the Silver Star, Bronze Star and Belgian Fourragerre. He served in the Army Reserves, retiring with the rank of Colonel. He retired in 1980 from Armstrong & Dobbs as a Vice President after a career of more than thirty years. Mr. Hartford was a member of the Athens Area Retired Officers Association, a faithful member of First Presbyterian Church, where he served as a deacon and an elder. He also served on the board and was a lifetime member of the State Botanical Garden of Georgia.
Survivors include his wife, Pauline O. Hartford, Athens; daughters and sons-in-law, Carolyn and Jim Mahar, Gainesville, GA, Linda and Jere Huggins, Los Angeles, CA, Georgina and John Garth, Athens, AL.; brother, Robert B. Hartford, Cedar Crest, NM; grandsons, Matthew Mahar, Andrew Mahar, Jonathan Huggins, Lakin Garth and Stuart Garth.
Services will be held Friday at 2:00 p.m. at the First Presbyterian Church with Dr. Glenn Doak, Dr. Joe Berry, and Dr. Charles Hasty officiating. Burial will follow at Oconee Hill Cemetery. Grandsons will serve as pallbearers.
The family will receive friends Thursday evening from 6-8 p.m. at Bernstein Funeral Home. In lieu of flowers the family requests memorial contributions be made to the First Presbyterian Church, 185 E. Hancock Avenue, Athens, GA 30601 or to the State Botanical Garden of Georgia, 2450 S. Milledge Avenue, Athens, GA 30605. We will miss Col. Hartford, he was one of us, we are saddened by his death. The 2nd Armored web site board members  offer condolences to Col Hartford's family.  

Hedrick, Wesley: (19 April 1920 - 21 April 1998) Wesley Hedrick served in Company "A", 1st Platoon, 82nd Reconnaissance Battalion , 2nd Armored Division. He served in North Africa and throughout the European campaign up to the end of the Ardennes Offensive, (Belgian Bulge) Wesley was a member of the 1st platoon assault tank crew. He will be missed by his many friends in "A" Company. He suffered frozen feet (frostbite) in the Ardennes and was sent back to the states and discharged from the service. He is interred at Jefferson Barracks National Cemetery in St.Louis, MO. We extend our expression of sympathy to the family of Mr. Wesley Hedrick..

Hiatt, Clyde H.: (11 April 1925 to 21 August 1997) Mt. Airy, North Carolina. Clyde H. Hiatt landed on the beaches of Normandy, France 13 June 1944, then joining on 19 July 1944, Co. "A", 82nd Reconnaissance Battalion 2nd Platoon., 2nd Armored Division in Cerisy Forest, France. And served in continous combat with Co. "A" throughout the European Campaign, to the end of the war. He was a young man committed to combat at the early age of 19 years of age, one of many of this age group to see the tragedies of war early in life. The members of Co. "A" will remember him as one who served his country well. We will miss him. We extend our heartfelt sympathy to his family.

Holcomb, Roy Lee: (8 April 1922 to 17 October 1999) Roy was a member of "D" Co. 82nd Reconnaissance Bn., 2nd Armored Division, served in North Africa, Sicily, England, and France where he was wounded and received the Purple Heart with numerous other medals. He was a member of DAV. He was the son of the late Oscar Lawrence and Ethel Chapman Holcomb and was retired from the Newport Shipbuilding and Dry Dock Company. He was a member of the Canton Baptist Church. He is survived by his wife Gladys Burris Holcomb of the home, two sons Tony Holcomb, Chesapeake, Va., and Billy Holcomb of Dayton, Texas; a daughter, Pam Robinson of Wildwood, Ga., a stepdaughter, Shelby Tucker of Badin, a brother, David Holcomb of Abermarle, Ga. also three sisters, Clara Roberts, Dixie Thorpe, and Kathleen Poplin, all of Abermarle; nine grandchildren: a step grandson; and two step grandchildren. The burial was at the Canton Baptist Church Cemetery with full military rites by the Stanley County, DAV Ritual Team. Roy was active in the reunions of his unit and was known by all of us as a fine person , we will miss him. We express our sympathy to Gladys and family. Howard Swonger.

Jeffares, Emory L., S/Sgt.: (5 March 1922 to 9 Nov. 2000) He was born 5 March 1922 to Emory Lee Jeffares and Mary B. Pipper. (Jeffares) in Atlanta, Ga. and attended grade school, middle school and high school in Atlanta, Ga. go to  for complete life story of this American Hero. 

Kangas, Atri E.: 81 of Phoenix, Arizona passed away at home on 23 January 2002. He was born in Makinen, Mn. was a retired drill operator for the Department of the Interior, Bureau of Reclamation. He served in the Army during WWII attaining the rank of Sergeant functioning as an anti- tank crewman of Co. 2D Battalion 66th Armored Regiment. Under the command of General Patton his regiment served in Africa in Morocco and Tunisia, Southern Europe in Sicily, Normandy, Northern France, Rhineland, Ardennes, and Central Europe including the Battle of the Bulge. During his work life, while he was in the U.S. Bureau of Reclamation, he worked in California on the Feather River Project and then moved to Az in 1962 where he worked mainly on the Central Arizona Project until he retired. In his retirement he remained an avid sports fan especially the Diamondbacks and the Suns. He enjoyed walking and also discussing current events with family and friends. Survivors include his wife of 54 years, Gertrude; a daughter Kathy; a son Robert and daughter-in-law Jeannie; a daughter Linda and son-in-law Greg; 2 grandchildren, Ian and Benjamin; and 2 sisters, Alvera Williams of California and Sadie Lyngaas of Minnesota. Interred at National Memorial Cemetery of Az, 23029 N. Cave Creek Road, Phoenix, AZ 85024. 

Keeler, Robert W.: (11 April 1922 -16 April 2002). He was born in Oak Park, IL. passed away at age 80. . Proud member of the 2AD, circa 1942-1945, Campaigns included Sicily, South Africa, France, Belgium. Bob was preceded in death by his beloved wife, Helen (nee Dowd). He is survived by his daughters Donna, Diane and Bonnie; stepsons Jack and Mike; grandchildren Thomas, Marty, Alison and Karrie; great-grandchildren Courtnee, Andrew, Braxton and Ethan. His proudest memories were those of his fellow soldiers. They served so bravely together through hell and back again. He dearly loved his buddies and never forgot them. Bob was a recipient of two Purple Hearts and The Bronze Star, among several medals. . He died after suffering from Alzheimer's for eight years.  - . by. Diane (Keeler) Giernoth

King, George: (1918 -1970), Staff Sergeant, he was a member of the 41 Inf., 2nd Armored Division. He was from Streator. IL. entered service 21 February, 1941 - 12 October , 1945, participated in 7 combat missions during three years in the European theater. He first saw action in Tunisia, followed by the invasion of Sicily and later at Normandy. Further engagements included northern France, the Rhineland, Ardennes and Germany. He won the Combat Infantry battle medal, Good Conduct medal, American and European medals, American and European defense ribbons, the bronze overhead for the invasion of France, six overseas bars, and one hash mark. Mr. King passed away in Egg Harbor Township, New Jersey He is survived by two sons and two grandsons. and a sister. 

King, Charles William: (17 July 1924- 26 May 1982) Enlisted  4 Sept. 1943. He was a Tank Commander (1736) with the 67th Armored Regiment. He fought in Normandy, Northern France, Ardennes, Rhineland, and Central Europe. He received the EAMETO Medal, Good Conduct Medal, Purple Heart, Croix De Guerre, and World War II Victory Medal. He was wounded in action on 5 January 1945. He was honorably discharged on 8 December 1945. After the war, he married and raised three daughters before he died of a stroke on 26  May 1982. He now has 7 grandchildren and 5 great grandchildren. We miss you, Daddy.

Kottloski,  Erwin C.: Sgt, (13 October 1919 and died on 28 August 1994.).He was born on both events (his birth & death) took place in the same room of the same house. His actual surname was Kottlowski, but when he entered the service in February, 1941, his name was misspelled as 'Kottloski" and Dad never thought it was worth the trouble of getting it corrected. He is so listed in his regimental history (67th Armored Regiment, Third Bn, Headquarters Company). 67/3/HHC Sergeant Kottloski served from February, 1941 through June, 1945. He participated in the North African, Sicilian, French, Belgium, Dutch & German campaigns. He was decorated for bravery (Soldiers Medal) for his part in the rescue of trapped soldiers during the sinking of LST-1030 (9 June 1944).

Prior to and after his service to the 2nd AD, he was a farmer. After getting out of farming, he worked as a mechanic. He was active in his church (Zion Lutheran of New Palestine, Indiana). He married on 18 April 1954 to Marlis Jean Krug. They had five children. Respectfully Submitted, Brian J. Kottlowski (son of deceased) Thank you Brian

Kruger, Melvin E. : of Second Avenue, TRIBES HILL, died Wednesday at the Edward L. Wilkinson Residential Health Care Facility in Amsterdam at the age of 82, died  after a long illness.

During World War II, he served in the Army's 2nd Armored Division in Europe. He participated in the Battle of the Bulge and served in Africa and with Gen. George Patton's Army.

Mr. Kruger was employed for many years by Mohasco Industries in Amsterdam. After his retirement, he worked part-time at the Betz Funeral Home in Amsterdam.

He was a member and past master of the Masonic Welcome Lodge 829 and a former member of the Green Hill Cemetery Association and the Tribes Hill Volunteer Fire Department. Mr. Kruger also was a member of St. Luke's Evangelical Lutheran Church and a former member of its church council.

He married Helen Mead Kruger on Oct. 12, 1946. She died Dec. 27, 1982. Survivors include his wife, Caroline E. Kruger, whom he married Sept. 1, 1984; a son, Dr. Robert M. Kruger of San Antonio, Texas; a daughter, Carol Beth Wilary of Amsterdam; and four grandchildren.  Burial will be in Fairview Cemetery, Amsterdam. Reply to Gazette Newspapers:

Lane,  Major Robert A.: Born 25January 1913 -23 August 1944.  Robert was born  in Marietta, Ohio, graduated from Marietta High School in 1930, and that September entered Ohio State University.  Four years later, he graduated from OSU, in June, and in August married LaVerne Shaffer. On December, 1940   left Fort Meade, Md with Lt. Ralph Luman and others for Fort Benning, Ga.  They were activated and assigned to the Second Armored Division, land were trained under Gen. Patton. .  
Before the holidays in 1942, he had to say good-bye to LaVerne and his children.  Lt. Lane stayed with the 2nd Armored Division throughout his service. Far from his wife and family, Bob celebrated his 30th birthday with his 2nd Armored friends in the cork forest, the Foret de Mamora, near Rabat, French Morocco. That Christmas, spent in Morocco, was mild compared to the damp, cold "Merry Olde" English Christmas at Tidworth Barracks in 1943. Going from Africa to Sicily to England was quite a contrast, to include the intense heat the men experienced during and after the battle for Sicily.  Promoted to Major, Bob became the S-2 for Combat Command B before they sailed into Normandy, June 1944.  He advanced through the
hedgerows, taking part in the breakthrough at St. Lo, passed the Falaise Gap, to Conches, France.
At the forward command post near Conches, France on Wednesday afternoon
23,August  he was struck in the back by exploding Nebelwefer (Commonly known as "Screaming Meenie" rockets.)    Major Robert A. Lane is buried at the Normandy American Cemetery at Omaha beach with 134 of his friends in the Second Armored Division. Respectfully, Sandra Lane Walker, Robert's daughter.

Langehennig, Robert Cpl.,: A cook in D Co. 41st AIB, 12/13/50 through11/52, passed away on 28 August 2001, Leaving two sons and wife Frances E. Langehennig at 155 Linda Dr. Fredericksburg, TX . Married for 50 years, they lived in San Antonio many years before moving to Fredericksburg. Bob had 11 months service in the USMC during WW ll , then was drafted back for the Korean War (not conflict. After service Bob worked for Civil Service at an Air Base in San Antonio. Bob was a nationally renowned breeder of registered swine. If any one has anything to add to this ,please do. Bob was a man devoted to doing his best for his men at the Mess Hall. He was a rifle squad leader prior to cook school . Thanks, Howard, submitted by Cpl. Dempsey W. Lance, 3rd squad, 1st platoon, D Co. 41st AIB, 2nd Armd Div.(50-52) DWL

Letgrate, Frank: Passed away 8 November 1998 in Casper, WY. Frank was a member of "A" Co. 2nd Pl. 82nd Reconnaissance Bn., 2nd Armored Division, he was in our scout section. We extend our sympathy to his family.

Lieu, Walter : Tech 5, passed away in Rosemead, California 2 July 1998. European Theater of Operations July of 1944 with the 2nd Armored Division. He was a member of the 142nd Armored Signal Company

Mahan, Charles E. : Passed away on 3 September 1997, King Of Prussia, Pa.\In loving Memory of Charles E. Mahan, 3 September 1997.

An Irish Blessing

May the road rise with you,

May the wind be always at your back,

May the sun shine warm upon your face,

And rains fall soft upon your fields,

And until we met again, may

God keep you in the hollow of His hand.

Mr. Charles E. Mahan was First/Sgt. of "A" Company, 82nd Reconnaissance Battalion, 2nd Armored Division while the division was organizing in Ft. Benning, Georgia, Africa, and well into the campaign into Europe. 1/Sgt. Charles Mahan was in Ft. Meade at the very beginning of the Armored force start up period, and served with General George Patton at Ft. Meade in the 1930"s. .He was a " soldiers, soldier ". He was respected and loved by all who served with him. All of us in the 82nd will miss him. We extend our heartfelt sympathy to his family.

Mc Gorman, Frank (Bud) L.: (24 May 1925 to 17 December 1986) Born in Minnesota, was a member of the HQ. 2nd Bn., 67th Armored Regiment.  He was injured in battle in Conchies, France, (Near Elbeuf) 22 August1944, and remained totally disabled "shell shock" until his death. ASN #37571728.

A poem written by his niece Sandra Shields

"Soft quiet eyes As dinner is prepared A warm smile as the presents unwrap and we children squeal Christmas! Uncle Bud, it's hard to envision Christmas, Thanksgiving, coming home without you--You were always there. As a child, visits to Grandma always meant a sneak up to your room to get the newest trinket from down the Avenue You loved us well, quietly and unconditionally. See the bronze medal, Uncle Bud was in the war so he doesn't say much--seemed logical to a 10 year old. The magnitude and effects of war only become clearer as I get older You went to help a world in trouble quietly and unconditionally Thanksgiving dinner, we'd sit next to each other every time! You'd tell me of your latest golf victory-- I'd tell you of school, math--our common thread, soft quiet eyes on our last visit. My childhood pal, my uncle, my special friend, I'll miss you You will live as long as I do, in me now the quiet eyes look at his creator who loves him, as we do, quietly, unconditionally".  Refer to the Notable General's and others page for more on Frank L. McGorman.Martin, Sr. 


McIntyre,  Brendan E.  My father, ASN, 16-065-174, passed away on 11 July 1999. He was in the , Co. "A", 3rd Platoon 82nd Reconnaissance  Bn. 2nd Armored Div. He often talked about the horrors of war, and the loss of close friends. He served in the following Campaign's, Africa, Sicily  Normandy, (Omaha-D2); Northern France, Rhineland and the Ardennes. (Bulge). He was wounded on Christmas Day, 1944, in I think he called it Foy Notre Dame, near Dinant, Belgium taking a severe wound to the left thigh that left him disabled for life. 

Having been wounded 2 times before, this one was almost mortal. Thanks to the field medics who stopped the hemorrhaging. He was awarded the Bronze star for saving a group of men who were pinned down in a barrage (and wounded). Dad also lost his brother on a B-17 Flying fortress over Germany.  His final request was that he be buried at Arlington National Cemetery, were he rests today. He often told me that the only hero's in War
were the ones that were buried in the battlefields on conflict. After watching "Saving Private Ryan" I understood. And I cried like a baby. I have a number of photos, war records, citation papers, etc. if anyone is interested. Please post this notice on the Taps Page. Thanks Michael P. McIntyre (his son) (

Martin, William Edward : (19 April 1917-19 Sept. 1999) Born in Evanston, IL. formerly of the 41st Infantry Regiment of the 2nd Armored Division. Passed away September 19, 1999, in Evanston, IL. He was predeceased by his wife, Harriet, and a daughter, Kathryn Ann. He is survived by his daughter, Linda, his son, William, Jr, and his granddaughter, Katherine Grace, also a sister Valma Thompson. He was interred with Kathy Ann in Skokie, IL. He was very proud to have served in the 2nd Armored and studied WWII as a hobby for much of his life. We will remember his stories of the sacrifices made by so many men for the good of our country and the world. Thank You and Best Regards, Bill Martin, Jr. Thanks for your kind attention to this matter. I really enjoy your website and appreciate the effort put into saving valuable memories but could you add a line to my father’’ notice asking anyone who knew my father from the 2nd Armored to contact me at , if they would be interested?

Thanks and Best Regards, Bill Martin Jr.

Miller,  James   (Cpl.)      Born June 17,1929 in Katy,Texas. Died in Houston,Texas August 22,2002. Interred at Brookside Memorial Park in Houston,Tx.  12/13/50 to 11/26/52.  D Co , 41s AIB, 2nd Armored, Survived by wife, Fannie Pearl (married 49 years), daughter, Pamela Teltschick.  Cpl. Miller was the Arms  Repairman in company headquarters. A very dedicated soldier who made sure our armament was field ready. After  service Jimmy was a fireman for the Houston fire department Forty-Two years: Thirteen as District Fire Chief.  Submitted by Cpl Dempsey Lance, squad leader, 3rd squad. 1st platoon. We will remember this fine soldier and gent

Oden,  Walburga: Had a massive stroke Sunday night.  She passed away last night, Tuesday, April 3.  Her priest had been there and her family was with her.  She was a wonderful mother and a good friend to so many people.  She was planning on going to the reunion in Pigeon Forge.  We have the albums and we'll do what we can as soon as possible to be sure that you have them for the reunion. If anyone has any ideas, please let me know.  We're still in a daze at the moment.

Mother will be at Heady-Radcliffe Funeral Home, 311 W. Jefferson,LaGrange, KY  40031 with viewing Thursday and Friday.  Funeral services will be at Immaculate Conception Church in LaGrange on Saturday at 9:30 a.m. She will be buried alongside our father Marvin Oden in Memorial Gardens Cemetery in Crestwood, Kentucky. Please give this information to their many friends.  They both so looked forward to your reunions. Sincerely, Marlene Troxle and Michael Oden. We offer our sympathy; to the Oden family, we will  miss her smiling face at our reunions and the wonderful pictures she could take of all of us. Sincerely, Howard Swonger

Padrutt, Harvey H.: (Born 27 Dec 1909, Died 19 Oct. 1999). Served with Co. C, 67th Armor Reg 2d Armored Division., 24 Feb 42-27 Jun 45. He received 7 Bronze Stars and the Bronze Star Medal. He was a T-Sgt. with Charlie Co's Motor Pool. He fought in French-Morocco, Sicily, Normandy, Northern France, Ardennes, Central Europe, Rhineland, African campaigns. He never mentioned to any of this to his 3 daughters or his grand-kids (one of which is me).  Although my mom tells me he was troubled by dreams right up to the end. I include the eulogy that the priest read today for your information: Eulogy: I liked Harvey. Sister Olivia and I would bring him communion in his room at Heartland and it was always a pleasure. Before he moved to Girlie Manor he was able to come to Mass in his wheelchair. He struck me as a good an decent man; I liked his sense of humor. I couldn't believe he was 89 years old, and I told him so. I'm sure that Harvey knew that to be true because growing older had changed his life so much. Betty was gone, his sister and brothers were gone, his ability to work with his hands was of another time. So much had passed, including his health. I understand that Harvey had a few enjoyments in life, some he maintained as best he could. Fishing was of another time, but when he did fish he could frustrate those sitting next to him who were catching nothing and Harvey was pulling in a walleye. Harvey didn't need a lot of excitement to keep him going, his vocation as a mechanic was his reason to get going in the morning. When St. Paul says that we don't live for ourselves, that certainly was Harvey. If a farmer had a breakdown, Harvey would drop everything and get him back in the field. A family from Kentucky passing through had car problems, not only did Harvey get their car going, he had them stay with his family 2 or 3 days until he got it done! What a lesson for the kids! Even though some paper dolls went missing after they left, that doesn't keep you from meeting peoples needs. Harvey might have appeared a little gruff on the outside, but he had genuine sympathy for others, especially children, and so on the inside he was a teddy bear. That's certainly one reason why children were drawn to him. Excitement wasn't something that Harvey sought out; simple things were. Later in life he would steer telephone conversations to the point where he would ask if you would pick-him-up a cheeseburger and apple pie at McDonalds. He even got a road crew working in front of his house to get them once! He was a regular at Culvers drive-up for "just a little bit of ice-cream." Diabetes couldn't have the total say. Maybe the reason he didn't search out excitement was because he had enough of it thrust at him during the war. As our first reading said: "there will be a time for war, like it or not". Harvey never talked much about it, and he certainly never bragged about it, it was far too disturbing and humbling an experience for that. He relived it in his dreams, and I'm sure he was glad upon being awakened, to find that he was already back home. Perhaps he dreamt about the time that a tank became stuck in battle, and the crew faced certain death. How he managed to remove the tank-and-crew from danger for which he received a bronze star. Or perhaps it was one of the other events for which he received and additional 6 bronze stars. Harvey may well have figured he was just doing his job, as a soldier, and as a Christian who believed in putting ones life on the line for others. Our first reading also spoke of there being a time to build and a time to tear down. 

As a mechanic, Harvey did both, all the time. But as age sapped his physical strength, and he felt more and more beyond repair himself, he asked just the opposite of Martha in the gospel. She wondered why the Lord had not been present so that her brother Lazarus would not have died. Harvey, I'm told, has been prepared to die for quite some time. And it would bother him to hear of the death of a child or young person, when he himself remained. He'd say, "I don't know why God wont take me." Or he'd say, "This is my last Christmas." He said it so many times that last year when he said it, you couldn't have know that he was speaking the truth. This Christmas he would have been on the eve of his 90th birthday, instead, he has become ageless, in the presence of our eternal God. Harvey was proud of his grandchildren, and of his own children, the girls, although that's often harder to show. Now we present Harvey to our Heavenly Father, and without a doubt, Harvey will be shown just how proud God is of him. (contributed by his grandson Scott V. Savage)

Parker, Acy: My father Acy Parker was a part of Hell on Wheels.  I know that he served in Africa and in Italy.  I wish I could know more.  He was in the military service for 20 years.  He and his sister Alma Parker joined sometime in the 40's.  I don't know what the exact date is.  He never really told me much about what he did.  Most of what I've learned is what other people have told me.  He was stationed at Warner Robins Airforce Base in Georgia.  He was from Florida and grew up working real hard to support his younger siblings.  His father died during the depression and he took on the responsibility of supporting the family.  Although he never really mentioned it very often he was part American Indian.  I know he was a dedicated Christian Soldier.

Parten, Woodrow : (6 December 1913 to 28 November 1997) Woodrow Parten was in the 2nd Armored in Ft. Benning, Georgia in the early 1940's.. He was a member of Co. A, 82nd Reconnaissance Battalion. The 2nd Armored was shipped to Africa, then Sicily, then to the European theatre, Woodrow was a member of "A" company throughout World War 11. During the combat action in September 1944, in what was know as the " Pursuit to Hasselt ", Woodrow Parten was awarded the Silver Star for "Gallantry in Action". He was in the Army for a total of 22 years. He retired and returned to the area of Alabama where he was born near Sweetwater called Nanafalia, Alabama. He passed away after a long illness on 28 November 1997. He is survived by his wife Ethel Parten, a son Dwight Parten, and two daughters Elizabeth Ann Lagrone and Rene Mulkey, and seven grandchildren. He was buried with full military honors at the small community cemetery; (Hickory Grove) near Nanafalia, Alabama. We extend our heartfelt sympathy to his family. The members of Co. A, 82nd Reconnaissance will always remember Woodrow Parten. To us he was our friend, he was our comrade.

Perlman, Aaron: (16 February 1925 - 28 April 1998) We have been notified of the death Mr. Aaron Perlman, 18-55 Corp Kennedy, Bayside, NY. 11360. Aaron joined the service in November 1942, was stationed at Ft. Knox, Ky. and Ft. Campbell, Ky.., he was assigned to the 2nd Armored Div. in July 1943. He served with the 82nd Reconnaissance in Headquarters Company in African Campaign. .Aaron was a member of Company "A", 2nd Pl., 82nd Reconnaissance Battalion throughout the European Campaign. Serving both in the Scout section and as a loader. Aaron was one of us, and we have lasting memories of that association through the bad times and the good times. He was in our scout group that made the link up to he 3rd Army on the Ourthe River in the Belgium Bulge in 1945. Aaron in civilian life was a principal of Special education school in the New York City School System, and retired in 1983-84 school year. We extend our expression of sympathy to the family of Mr. Aaron Perlman.

Perotta, Micheal: (17 October 1913 to 11 December 1996) Born in Brooklyn, N. Y. He was drafted into the Army in early 1941. He served with the 2nd Armored Division from 1941 to 1945. After the war he returned home to his native Brooklyn, N. Y. Mike was the owner of a newsstand at the famous Stillwell Avenue subway station in Coney Island , Brooklyn, he retired in 1978. From  the time of his retirement until his death on 11 December 1996, " Brooklyn Mike" as we knew him, spent his time fishing and watching his beloved New York Yankees. A lifelong bachelor,  Mike never left Brooklyn once he returned home from the war in Europe. This is where he lived until his death, passing away quietly in 1996, We often teased him about that, but Mike, in his thick Brooklyn accent would wistfully quip, " I saw ad world courtesy of the U.S. Army ", That would always send us into into a fit of laughter. Uncle Mike is buried at Calverton National Cemetery on Long Island. Mike was a dear friend of the family. He will be missed by all of us, he will never be forgotten. (sender Timothy McAuliffe, 3 December 1998)

Pilcher, Hoyt: Passed away 12 March 2001 after suffering a heart attack. Hoyt was a member of 2nd Platoon,  "A" Co. 82nd Reconnaissance Bn. Hoyt was one of the first casualties in Normandy of "A" co. He lived in Cummings, Ga. The members of "A" Co. will miss him, we valued his friendship he was one of us.   We extend our sympathy to the Pilcher family, 

Pollock, Lyman H. , Jr. DOB 6/15/1925, Death- 5-16-2000. Serial # (RA) 31 435 178 left service as P.F.C. at Camp Breckenridge, Ky. 11-8-'45, final discharge from National Guard, apparently, 6-25-1947, Camp Hood, Texas. '45 Separation from Company B, 137th Infantry. Shows three bronze combat stars, EAME ribbon, GCR, combat infantry badge. USNR service recorded, USNR, 9/9/1942 to  9/16/1943. Shows induction into Army 8-30-'44, but he seems to have been in Europe already. Also, if I read properly, he went from Guard, to regular Army, back again.Shows "arrival in France" on paperwork 2-5-'45 on one set of paperwork. Danvers, Mass. Paperwork shows under "Battles and Campaigns", large case type: GERMANY. But battle ribbons are for France, Belgium, and Holland.  Effects showed 2nd and 8th Armored patches.  Final separation, Camp Hood, 1947,  shows discharge from Company "C", 41st Armored Inf. Bn. Shows Tech 5. Eye color variously listed as blue, gray, and hazel, in various documents.  

Height shows 5'6 and 5'7" on various documents, weights from 126 to 145. 

Recollections: Lyman drove a half-track, had, he said, "half-a-dozen" shot out from under him. Was apparently hospitalized at least twice for combat fatigue. Claimed to have at least seen Libya. Parts of Italy. Knew entirely too much about German tanks to have not seen them, and unlike a lot of "recollections", his were accurate and correct. Seemed to have spent a lot of time around airborne personnel, apparently both 101 and 82 divisions, and knew street names in Bastogne. Recited history of Remagen Bridge fight as if he had been there, but told us once that he never actually saw the bridge itself until after it collapsed, he said he crossed on a pontoon bridge. Seemed to have a simultaneous respect and strong dislike for Patton, never referred to him as anything but "Old Blood 'n' Guts", and did so with a certain relish. Seems to have considered 2nd Armored "his old outfit", and very late in life, when the Alzheimer's had almost consumed him, trimmed an article about their deactivation.   

Any light you can cast on his wartime service would be a huge help and relief. He didn't discuss those years much, though when he did, it was usually poignant or funny stories. The paperwork confirms a lot of what he said, but a lot of the rest remains a mystery to us all. His widow and children are curious. Advise, if you can tell us anything at all. Perhaps this, or some version of this, could be posted in the memorials. Someone might remember him or his active service. Contact: daughter, Cindy Pollock Schnackel, at, or to his son, Bob,at    

--- Jim Thompson--- As a courtesy to Jim Thompson we are showing this appeal for someone to step forward if they knew Lyman Pollock.

Presley, Jesse C. : My Dad , former T/Sgt. 2nd Armored Division, 41st Infantry, passed away at 6:45 P.M. Friday, May 3, 2002 in Ft. Oglethorpe, Ga. He served proudly through, North Africa, Sicily, invasion of Europe, and the Battle of the Bulge. This is in his honor for the duty to his country. May him and all veterans be always remembered. Thanks, His son.

Provens, James W.:(21 March 1917 - 9 January 2002). It is with a saddened heart that I inform you of the passing of my father. Dad was a member of the 2nd Armored Division from July 1944 through Jan 1946, serving with "C" Company of the 82nd Recon Battalion. He was trained at Ft Knox, Ky. He received the Purple Heart from enemy action somewhere between Aachen and Colonge Germany in October of 1944, when a German 88mm fired upon Dad and his platoon near a barn. He received the Campaign Medal with silver star, good conduct, and victory medals, along with the Presidential Unit Citation. He is survived by my mother, his wife of 64 years, Georgia Imogene (Barnhart) Proven's, a son and daughter and 4 grandchildren, and one greatgrand child. Dad, Mom, my oldest son and I, attended the Division reunion at Ft Hood, Texas in 1986 together and had a great time. Dad had hoped to see some of his buddies like Louie Pilotti, Louis Guiglielmo, Sgt Carl Boettger, Lt. A. K. Zack, Ike Boston, Leo Manning, Boyd Thomson, Nick Palezonis, and others in "C" Company, however, he was disappointed at seeing so few people he remembered. He never attended another reunion, unfortunately. His passing is a great loss to all of us who loved him. He worked as machinist before and after the war until retirement in 1982 at age 65. He was in fairly good health until developing serious complications from Parkinson's disease about two years ago. Dad had kept a book of pictures of his wartime experiences which I now have, and I had given copies of some of them to the 2AD Museum at Ft Hood in 1986. I do not know what became of those pictures nor the museum. I have also recorded many of the stories Dad told me throughout the years as I grew. Dad also told these same war stories to his grandsons, my own two sons.

We can never forget the sacrifices he and the other veterans have made during WWII. Sleeping in fox holes in the Battle of the Bulge in below zero temperatures, and being shelled by the Germans. Eating cold food and fighting in the winter wearing summer clothing. Wrapping strips of wool cloth around their boots to keep their feet warm, because winter clothing had not arrived until 11 January 45. Being trapped behind German lines for three days with no supplies.

We who loved him will never forget his love for us and his example to us throughout his life. We shall miss him a lot. If anyone reading this notice remembers my father, please reply to me. please let me know. Timothy G. Provens, 4440 Old Mill Rd., Springfield, Ohio 45502 (home email)

Puma, Joseph W. : 78 of Titusville, Florida passed away on August 1, 2003 at his home. He was born  December 14, 1924 in Manhattan (Little Italy), NY of immigrant parents from Sicily. He joined the Civilian Conservation Corp during the depression and then enlisted in the Army of the United States at the age of 16. He served in the Army from July 13, 1942 until Oct 16, 1945.  Joe Puma served as a Driver of a Tank - Medium 2736 with "A" Company, 82nd Reconnaissance Battalion, 2nd Armored "Hells on Wheels" Division.  He participated in numerous campaigns till war’s end in Berlin, Germany. Some of the battles and campaigns were: Aredennes, Central Europe, Normandy, Northern France, Rhineland, and Sicily, Algeria-French Morocco. He received the Distinguished Unit Badge, European-African-Middle Eastern Campaign Medal with 2 Bronze Service Stars and 1 Silver Service Star, Good Conduct Medal ,Belgian Fourragere, 2 Bronze Service Stars, 1 Silver Service Star, Army of Occupation Medal with Germany Clasp and World War II Victory Medal.

Joe’s lifelong dreams were of  becoming a pilot, which he accomplished at 46, and to graduate from high school, which he did at age 47. While working as an Auto Mechanic at Sears in Bayshore, NY, he received his diploma and was then became the manager of the 16 bay Repair Center.

Joe and his family moved to Titusville, FL in 1980, 23 years ago from Lake Ronkonkoma, NY because of Joe’s health. Joe supervised the construction of two of his homes in Florida, selling them and then moving to be close to his daughter and her children.  

Over the years Joe served his fellow veterans through the Disabled American Veterans, the American Legion and also his support group at the Veterans Administration Facility in Veiro Beach, Florida. All these other veterans and his family and friends will miss Joe.

His wife of   35 years, Eleanor, children Edward, Douglas, Babette, Rita, Lisa, Linda, Tory, twelve grandchildren and one great-grandchild also survive him.

The Final Inspection

The soldier stood and faced his God. Which must always come to pass. He hoped his shoes were shining just as brightly as his brass. "Step forward now, you soldier. How shall I deal with you? Have you always turned the other cheek? To My Church have you been true?" The soldier squared his shoulders and said. "No, Lord, I guess I ain't Because those of us who carry guns can't always be a saint. I've had to work most Sundays and at times my talk was tough, and sometimes I've been violent, because the world is awfully rough. But, I never took a penny that wasn't mine to keep... Though I worked a lot of overtime when the bills got just too steep. And I never passed a cry for help. Though at times I shook with fears, and sometimes, God, forgive me, I've wept unmanly tears, I know I don't deserve a place among the people here, they never wanted me around except to calm their fear. If you've a place for me here, Lord, it needn't be so grand, I never expected or had to much. But if you don't. I'll understand." There was silence all around the throne where the saints had often trod as the soldier waited quietly, For the judgment of his God. "Step forward now, you soldier, you've borne your burdens well. Walk peacefully on Heaven's streets, You've done your time in Hell."

To all that served.

Richard, Martin Berman: Born Church Point, LA 1920, died Baton Rouge, LA 1998. Served as Corporal in 92nd Field Artillery, 2nd Armored Division. Saw action from North Africa through Berlin. As a private in the army, he received his promotion to corporal because he could paint the insignia on tanks which required a "non-com" or above to do.

During his tour he contracted pneumonia and was sent to a field hospital in Belgium. Speaking his native Cajun French, he met and befriended an 11-year-old girl who was scrounging for food in the garbage behind the mess hall. He learned that she lived several miles from the base but this was a main supplement of her family's diet. My father convinced the mess cook to give her the leftovers, and was "adopted" by her family. He performed an act of absolute human kindness in the midst of a great human unkindness.

Upon returning to the States, he and his bride raised six children: Martin Jr., Jane, Janet, Joan, Mark, and Julie. He served as President of, and was very active in, the 2nd Armored Division Association. The Association again benefited from Martin's gift as an artist, as he donated a painting of 2nd Armored tanks in a German village to the Association in the 1980's.

Forty-plus years after the war ended, he was able to take his wife of 50 years to Belgium to meet the 11-year old girl he befriended. We are very happy to say that she is still a dear friend to all of our family.

Martin died on May 3, 1998 after a four-year battle with cancer. During his illness, he never gave up his sense of humor and continued to care for and love his wife, children, and six grandchildren, who knew him affectionately as "Big Papá." At his Memorial Service, one of the men with whom Martin served said he never knew anyone who had an unkind thing to say about our father. He is with us always. Mark, Martin’s youngest son, says that when he is working on any of a thousand projects, from painting a room to building a fence, our father is constantly telling him "Not that way, Mark!". Dad's always right, whether Mark listens to him or not. He has made his presence known and felt in 1000 little ways every day, from his artwork to a remembered giggle. Martin has made an indelible impact on all of our hearts. We love you, Big Papá, and we are forever grateful for the service you gave to our country for our freedoms. Written by family member. 

Riley, Daniel Roscoe : (23 January 1914 to 12 November 1997) Mr. Riley was a native of Echo community of Dale County, Al. He was the son of the late Ezra and Mariah Snell Riley. He retired in 1955 with the rank of Master Sergeant from the United States Army after 20 years of service including service time during both World War II and the Korean Conflict. During World War II he served in combat with the 66th Armored Regt, Reconnaissance Co. of the 2nd Armored Division in Europe. After retirement from the military , Mr. Riley moved to the Center community of Henry County where he was a member of the Center United Methodist Church, he was later employed at Page Aircraft at Fort Rucker and later with the Henry County Board of Education, and Henry County :Soil Conservation Service. Mr. Riley was also engaged in raising cattle. He was a member of the 2nd Armored Division Association. Surviving are is wife Madeline Murphy Riley, Newville, R # 2, four children, nine grandchildren and 6 great grandchildren. . Mr. Riley's interment was at Center Methodist with full Military Honors. We extend our heartfelt sympathy to his family. The following was included in the services of M/Sgt. Daniel Roscoe Riley.

A Soldiers Prayer

I saw a soldier kneeling down, for this was the

first quiet place he had found. He had traveled through

jungles, rivers and mud. His hands were scared and

toil-warned. He folded his hands and looked to the sky...

I saw his tears, as they welled in his eyes. He

spoke to God, and this is what he said.

God Bless my man, who now lie dead; I

know not what You have in mind , but when

You judge, please be kind....when they come

before You, they will be poorly dressed

but will walk proudly, for they have done

their best. Their boots will be muddy and

their clothes all torn...but these clothes

they have so proudly worn. Their hearts

will be still and cold inside, for they

have fought their best and did so with

pride. So please take care of them as

they pass Your way...the price of freedom

they've already paid.

Satterfield, Charlie :  C Co. 82nd Reconnaissance Bn.  , died 12 or 13  June 2001, Thursday night or Friday morning.  His funeral was Saturday.  He lived out from Atlanta. This is all the information we have , Our condolences to the Satterfield Family. . 

Schafer, Francis J: (9 August 1917 to 27 November 1998). We called him Joe, he was our Mess Sgt.. Joe was in Headquarters platoon of "A" Co. 82nd Reconnaissance Bn., 2nd Armored Div.. Joe and his wife Liz lived in Louisville, Ky. He served with "A" Co. from 1941 thru 1945. We extend our sympathy to Joe's family.

Sefcovic, Richard : JOHNSTOWN ,,NY. - Richard J. Sefcovic, 82, of Briggs Street, died Wednesday, November, 2000,  at Nathan Littauer Hospital, Gloversville, after a short illness., Mr. Sefcovic was born in Johnstown. He retired in 1990 from N.A. Taylor of Gloversville. Mr. Sefcovic also worked for the former Johnstown Tanning and the former Fleming & Joffe. He was a World War II veteran of the Army's Second Armored Division. Mr. Sefcovic was a member of St. Anthony's Church, the Johnstown Veterans of Foreign Wars Post 510, the Pine Tree Rifle Club, and the Johnstown Loyal Order of the Moose. Survivors include his wife, Margaret Tanner Sefcovic, whom he married Aug. 9, 1952; two sons, Anthony and John Sefcovic, both of Johnstown; and four grandchildren. . Burial will be in St. Anthony's Cemetery, Johnstown. Contributions may be made to the American Cancer Society, or to Nathan Littauer Hospital

Sorensen Sr.. Pvt. Ernest G. (23 April 1929 to 2 November 1995) He was born in Archer, Iowa. Ernest Sorensen was in the 2nd Armored Division in the early 1960's. He worked on tanks and drove them. He took part in " Operation Big Lift ", and was in Berlin at the time of the assassination of President Kennedy. Later returning to Ft. Hood Texas, remaining there for a few years and then leaving the service to return to the Oklahoma area upon discharge from the service. In civilian life he became a skilled machinist with many accomplishments in that field. Upon his death in 1995, and was buried in Delano, Minnesota. For more on Pvt. Ernest G. Sorensen Sr. go to the " Generals and Notables page " at the bottom of this page and link to that site.

Swanson, Robert C.: (23 Aug.1920 to 28 June 1987) Was a PFC in the 2nd Armored Div. from (1942-1945) He was under the leadership of Sgt. Bencriscutto. My Dad fist entered the war against the Germans when they landed at Omaha Beach in 1944. they went through France, Belgium, Holland, and Siegfried line and back into Belgium. he was in Normandy, Northern France, Rhineland. Ardennes, Central Europe .His decorations and Citations are Good Conduct Medal, European African Middle Eastern Theater, Campaign Ribbon, Victory Medal, American Theater Campaign Ribbon, Belgian Fourragere  WX 13522 45..He went on to marry my mom, Cora, they had six children together three sons and three daughters .He worked at Pfizer in Groton Connecticut  until 1986.  He did not have the time to see my daughters births, but Dad they know all about you. You live in them Dad I see you there .I love you Dad , your Daughter Bonnie.

Sweat, Oliver Mayo,  (84 yrs) passed away 2 October 2001. Was member of "C" Co. 82nd Reconnaissance Bn, 2nd Armored Div. in WW 2, Mayo was my friend, we attended reunions together, he could not go this year he was too ill. We both live in Dade City, Fl, same town. Time is our worst enemy, Howard Swonger

Thomas, James Thomas: 0 312 154 (25 Sept. 1913 to 20 Aug. 1998) Dad was born Sept. 25, 1913 Milledgeville GA.  Attended GMC, and then served with the CCC.  Entered the 2nd Armored Division Ft. Benning GA July 1940. Served with  Hdq.  Hdq. Co in European African Middle East Theater.  Awarded two Bronze Stars.  Separated rank of Major in August 1946 for physical disability.  Re-enlisted Sgt. Ft. Benning GA July 1949.  Served Hdq. Wurzburg  Germany, Ft. Richardson Alaska and several bases in the U. S. including Ft. Stewart GA.  He retired Lt. Col. USAR 1963.

After he spent 31 years in the U. S. Army, he then went to college, graduated as valedictorian, and went on with life as though he were a young man just starting out.  He retired again after 25 years service with a Clay County Florida firm.  During those 25 years he worked as a volunteer with many local organizations such as 4-H, Area Senior Citizen, Rotary Club, Farm Bureau, Town of Penney Farms, and others.  Dad always carried a small pocket book of the Constitution of the United States.  He was an active Christian in and out of church.

Dad passed away peacefully.  But the week prior to his death while under sedation he revisited whatever horrors he had found when he was somewhere in North Africa, Tunisia, Sicily, and/or Foggia.  He re-fought the war; only this time with me looking on. For three days and nights I sat with him while he cried out for his buddies.  He tried to rip the clothes off my back  because he thought they were bloody.  He screamed and moaned words I could not understand.  He spent long periods of anger at what was happening to the Jews and could not believe that there was someone (me) just sitting there not doing anything to help them.

The loss I feel is more than just the death of my father.  I cry almost nightly more for what he endured during W.W.II and the years he carried it within his soul. My father never talked to me about the war.  He never mentioned his medals nor the field commendation from General Patton which I discovered among his papers after his death. If he spoke of the war to my mother, she never said.  She preceded him in death and took whatever secrets they shared with her.

Thomas James Thomas died on August 20, 1998 at The Arbors at Orange Park Florida.  Thanks to the men at Ft. Stewart he was buried with full Military Honors at Penney Farms Florida. He is survived by me, his only child, three grand daughters, five great grandchildren and two great grandchildren. My father gave so much and asked so little.  Although he will long be remembered by many as a humble man, I will remember him forever as my hero. Submitted by his daughter: Betty Thomas .

Thompson, Ashley C.N. : I would like to add my grandfather's name to the TAPS list. He was from North Port Long Island,  New York.. He was in the 12th AD 17th AIB. He was wounded in France in the Battle of the Bulge Jan. 16,1945 and died from his wounds Jan. 26, 1945 age 29 (would have been 30 that May). My father never had the opportunity to get to know his father, and his Step father being a jealous man tried to extinguish any memory that might have existed. I have only been able to find bits and pieces. My grandfather volunteered to fight the good fight(he wasn't even born here and his parents were not American Citizens, they were from the UK)--to him and all others we will forever be in their debts. Respectfully,  Kathleen Thompson-MacDonald.

Waild, Paul J. : Unit  B Co, 17th Combat Engineer BN., time field:  1943-1945, comments:  Deceased 7/13/99.Williamson, Edwin Allen  passed away on March 27, 2001. He was a resident of The Fairfax Senior Living Community in Fairfax, Virginia.  Mr. Williamson was born in DeQueen,  Arkansas 1917. Upon graduation from The University of Arkansas in 1939  Mr. Williamson was commissioned a Second Lieutenant in the United States Army. He was stationed at Ft. Benning, Ga where he was under the command of Gen. George S. Patton. During World War II he participated in the invasions of North Africa and Sicily as a Captain in the 41st Infantry of the Second Armored Division. He also participated in the Normandy invasion as his Armored Division crossed Omaha Beach on 12 June  1944. Captain Williamson's Division moved across France and into Germany where he was severely wounded near Aachen, Germany on 4  October 1944. He was awarded a Purple Heart and a Bronze Star for valor and was promoted to the rank of Major. He retired from the military in 1947 and settled in Arlington, Virginia where he lived until moving to The Fairfax in 1989. . He was employed by the U.S. Department of Labor retiring in 1972. During his life he was active with the Disabled American Veterans. He is survived by his wife of 52 years, Thelma, three sons Edwin A. Williamson, Jr. of Windsor Locks, Connecticut, Steven Williamson of Midlothian, Virginia, John Williamson of Hagerstown, Maryland and six grandchildren.

White Jr. ,Jefferson "Jeff" 

Jefferson "Jeff" White Jr., 80, died Sunday, March 14, 2004. He is survived by his wife of 32 years, Rosemary K. White. A memorial service will be at 3 p.m. EST at the Lafayette Presbyterian Church in Tallahassee . Burial will be later at Sycamore Cemetery in Greensboro. Family will receive friends after the service in the fellowship hall. Culley's MeadowWood Funeral Home, Riggins Road Chapel (877-8191) is handling arrangements. In lieu of flowers, memorial contributions may be made to Big Bend Hospice, 1723 Mahan Center Blvd., Tallahassee, FL 32308, or the Building Fund at Lafayette Presbyterian Church, 4220 Mahan Drive, Tallahassee, FL 32308. Mr. White, better known as just "Jeff White" retired from the U.S. Postal Service after 30 years of service. He started as a mail carrier and retired as supervisor of Tort. He was a veteran of World War II and served in the U.S. Army Second Armored Division, 82nd RCN Battalion. He was in three major invasions, Africa, Sicily and Normandy and fought in seven major battles including the Battle of the Bulge. He received the Silver Star, Purple Heart, the Belgium Fourragere and many other combat metals. He was very seriously wounded on April 1, 1945, in Germany. After retirement, Jeff and his wife planned and hosted reunions for the 82nd RCN for nine years. Jeff said one of the most wonderful things about retirement has been looking up veterans he has served with and getting to know them again. He also was on the Ollie North War Stories in the episode "Desert War." Jeff returned to Belgium in 1997 to visit and was honored in the towns his unit had liberated. He was a member of Lafayette Presbyterian Church and when it was new in the '50s and '60s he served as a Deacon and then an Elder. He had very strong feelings about what the Bible teaches and was never afraid to stand up for his beliefs. He loved children and those in the Piney Z Community were very special to him. They really miss him coming by everyday with Oreo cookies. They loved him dearly. He also had many, many friends, young and old here in Tallahassee. Other survivors include two sons, James J. White (and wife Suzy) of Greensboro and Thomas Irvine White of Colorado; a daughter, Carolynne Whitefeather of Utica, N.Y.; three stepchildren, Margaret Hancock (and husband Keith), Jo Ann Lassiter of Orlando and Bill Keen of Hawaii; four grandchildren, Andrea Duval (and husband Craig) of Tallahassee, Tommy White of Greensboro and Nickey White and Joey White, both of Denver; and six stepgrandchildren, Jim Hancock of Tallahassee; Jill Lassiter and Jordan Dickens of Orlando, Wil Keen of Knob Noster, Mo., and John and Annie Keen, both of Hawaii.
Published in the Tallahassee Democrat on 3/15/2004.

Zank, Edwin K. Passed away  7 June 2001, lived at 1879 Arabian Rd.,  West Palm Beach, Fl. 33406, wife Anna.  Edwin was First Soldier (1st Sgt.) and member of  Co. "A" , .82nd Reconnaissance  Our condolences to the Zank  family. He was my friend and we served together throughout Europe.  We have no further information at this time. 

Click Here for additional obituaries.

We honor the following members of the 82nd Recon. Bn., 2nd Armored Division who were Killed in Action at the St. Lo Breakthrough, Domfront, Pursuit to Elbeuf, and the drive to Tournai, Pursuit to Hasselt, Battle of the Siegfried Line, Battle to the Roer, and Battle of Celles, Ardennes, Belgium and beyond in 1944 and 1945, over 50 years ago: Clovis Ayers, Paul A. Babin, Carl E. Bivens, John Boda, Roy C. Bolton, **William R. Bond (Vietnam) Arnold G. Brock, Thomas E. Bullington, Oscar D. Chapman, Everett W. Christensen, Frederick Cowburn, Michael R. Crivaco, Vernon Crum, Clarence E. Danbow, John T. Davis, Frank W. De Simone, Charles W. Day, Charles L. Dossey, James R. Dougherty Jr., Frederick A. Douglass, Charles A. Downs, Dallas A. Drake, August Dressler, Issac Duhon, Charles S. Duncan, John C. Ebersberger(18 July 1943), Arno C Elleman, Morton C Eustis, Harold L. Fitzsimmons, Morris M. Fletcher, Paul W. Fowler, Robert S. Frost, Tony J. Gazda, George D. Gladis, John T. Graham, William D. Harrelson, Henry Heppy, Leslie W. Herbig, Leslie T. Hubbell, Kenneth O. Hunter, Gaines D. Ivy, Frank H. Jordan, Ozie L. Lamb, Robert W. Lane, Theodore W. Large, Wilmon G. Lee, Evan G.E. McClain, Clark E. McGee, John McMahon, James F. McMurtrey, Raymond T. McNamee, William J. Makar, Elmer V. Mannisto, Charles L. Merriner, Alfred E. Miller, Stanley Morawski, James S. Mullen, Raymond S. Northup,Frank H. Norton Jr., James J. O'Conner, Antonio Parra, Frank J. Pendleton, Edward F. Pledger, Angelo Polifrone, David H. Pool, Junior C.L. Raper, *Millard Rebic, Hubert G. Roberts, Robert M. Robertson, Allen P. Robichaux, David H. Rose, John C. Savage, Harold H. Schaefer, George Schneider, William L. Shampois, James H. Shelton, Fred Souther, Rex J. Stephens, Lawrence Stonestreet, Craig S. Thomas, Howard L. Thomas, Ellsworth C. Van Houten, Leo S. Wanne, James J. Walters, Clarence H. Wenger, Erwin Weis, Denver S. Whittington, Stanley B. Ziolkowski, (*non battle casualty)(**Vietnam) more to be added.

We honor the following members of 41st Infantry Regiment, 2nd Armored Division. The below listed men were Killed in Action in WW 2.

"G" Company: Pvt. Morris Harold "Buster" Kingery, 25 June 1916 to 27 November 1944, (Go to the Generals and Notables page for more on on the life of Morris Harold (Buster) Kingery. S/Sgt. Edward B. Makciak, 5 April 1945, Sgt. Wayne W. Abbot, 5 April 1945, Pvt. William F. Crossman, 6 April 1945, Pvt. Milton  Trashansky, 5 April 1945, Pvt. Marvin C. Rye, 5 April 1945, Pfc. Vernon T. Miller, April 1945, Pvt. George P. Sparks, 14 April 1945, 2nd.Lt. Robert F. Lots, 16 April 1945, Pvt. Francis M. Alsbrooks, NBC., 16 April 1945.  Sgt. Edison (Buck) Buchanan,  February of 45.

Company unknown: North Africa, Sgt. Ravel A. Apple, 1942, Pvt Warnie B. Bryan, 1943, Pfc. Stanley B. Echel, 1943, Lt. Clifford Longenecker, 1943., Pvt. Erwin B. Webb, 1942. Sicily-Rome: Sgt.Carlie F.Burns, 1943, T/5 Carl J. Helfert, 1943, T/5 George L. Ortiz, 1943, Pfc. Manuel Rivas, 1943, T/5 Ignacious Tokersky, 1943, T/5 John J. West, 1943, (MIA)Cpl. V;ernon L. Wilson, 1943, Capt. Walter S. Wytowich, 1943, T/5 Walter E, York, 1943, Netherlands-Germany: Pfc. Albert R. Mundee, 4/45, Pfc. Donald H. Bailey, 4/45, T/5 Elisha P. Cutler Jr. 5/45, Lt. Harold L. Miller, 4/45, Pvt. Wilbur C. Miner, 4/45, S/Sgt Thedore J. Paschke, 4/45. Pvt. Carl C. Outhouse, 5/45, Pvt. Carl P. Larsen KIA 3-1-1945 he was a member of the 2nd armored  41st infantry. He is buried in the Netherlands American Cemetary.

Desert Shield/Storm: We honor the following member of 1/502nd MP Platoon, Cpl. William Palmer, Killed in Action, within hours after crossing into Kuwait. More to be added.

Desert Storm: We honor the following members of the Task Force that gave the ultimate sacrifice between 18 Feb 1991 and 28 Feb 1991:  KIA's include the following: SSG Tony R. Applegate, 3-66 Armor WIA, later KIA. SGT David R.Crumby, 1-41 Inf.  CPL Jeffery Middleton, 1-41 Inf., SPC Manuel Davila, 1-41 Inf. SPC Anthony W. Kidd, 1-41 Inf. PFC David W. Kramer, 1-41 Inf. PFC James C. Murray, 1-41 Inf. PV2 Robert D. Talley, 1-41 Inf. Mr. James F. Neberman, AMCCOM. There were many that were WIA's. This was one of the reasons that the 1-41 Infantry received the Valorous Unit Award after the Storm. Contributed by Task Force member Cpl Brian K. Assanowicz 2337 Neshaminy Blvd. Box 115 Bensalem, PA. 19020.

We welcome content contributions to this site.

Posted by Cathy Winrow on July 31, 1998 at 11:17:07:

I have always been very patriotic. I love my country, and have always been appreciative of everything that every service man has sacrificed for me. Recently, I saw "Saving Private Ryan." To be completely honest, I cried during most of the film. I have always known that war is awful, but this movie put it right in my face. You could never imagine anything like that. During the entire movie, it occurred to me over and over again how much courage, strength and love for the United States each and every service man displayed in war. During the first 26 minutes, which re-enacted the battle on Omaha Beach, I can't help but say how proud I felt that even though their fellow service man was lying dead on the beach, so many continued on to complete the mission. I had so much pride in my country and the people that made it possible for me to have everything this country has given me.

I have always been thankful of the work you all have done for our country, but I again want to tell each and every one of you thank you. Thank you for sacrificing so that we could have the quality of life that we have today.

Memorial Day: Originally called Decoration Day, is a day of remembrance for those who have died in our nation's service. This holiday was first proclaimed on 5 May 1868 by General John Logan in his "General Order No 11", and was first observed on 30 May 1868, when flowers were placed on the graves of Union and Confederate soldiers. It is now celebrated in almost every state on the last Monday in May.

Memorial Day: What it means, remember on this day the men and women that died for us. Hit the gold lettered words Memorial Day to view an outstanding website.

As America bids farewell to the veterans of World War II :

Congress has taken steps to ensure these patriotic GIs receive their ceremonial due. By law, as of Jan. 1, all eligible veterans will be entitled to military funeral honors signifying America's gratitude for their honorable service. Upon request, two service members will fold and present the American flag to surviving family members, and a bugler will sound "Taps." If a bugler is not available, a high-quality CD will be used.

At least one member of the funeral detail will be from the deceased veteran's parent military service. The other may be from the same service or another military service. Other authorized providers, such as members of a veteran's
organization, may be used to augment the military detail. No particular rank is specified in the law, but the services by tradition have ensured the person presenting the flag to the family is at least the grade of the deceased veteran.

"We believe this is a very important, meaningful and moving ceremony. It's an appropriate tribute for all of our veterans," said Gail McGinn, principal director to the deputy assistant secretary of defense for Personnel Support, Families and Education. "People say the finality of 'Taps' and the presentation of the flag provide an emotional closure. The ceremony honoring the deceased veteran can be seen as an affirmation of the person's life, as well as an expression of the nation's gratitude."

Veterans' families have had a hard time obtaining funeral honors due to the growing number of requests and to concurrent military force reductions, McGinn said.

One quarter of the nation's 26 million veterans alive today are over age 65. Department of Veterans Affairs officials project the rate of veterans' deaths will rise through 2008 to about 620,000 per year, up from 456,000 deaths in 1989
and 537,000 in 1997. At the same time requests for funeral details have risen, the active force, since 1989, has fallen from 2.1 million to 1.4 million, with about a third stationed overseas or deployed on contingency operations. Similarly, the reserve components have shrunk from 1.2 million to 900,000 since 1989.

In addition, 77 U.S. installations have closed since 1989, and 20 more will close by 2001. In many cases, funeral details now have to travel greater distances to provide support. McGinn's office examined 9,800 requests for
funeral honors received from June 1 to Sept. 30 this year and found 23 percent could not be fully supported and 2 percent received no support.

While many veterans think of military funeral honors as a right, the honors grew from custom, not DoD policy. Until the new law, nothing actually said the honors were a mandatory function, McGinn said. Congress responded to
public concerns by writing a provision into the fiscal 2000 Defense Authorization Act requiring the military to perform at least a basic level of funeral honors upon request for all eligible veterans.

By law, veterans are now eligible for military funeral honors if they served in the active military and were discharged under other than dishonorable conditions, or if they were a member or former member of the Selective
Reserve. Veterans are ineligible if they are convicted of federal or state capital offenses and sentenced to life imprisonment without parole or receive the death penalty.

McGinn said military teams conducted 38,000 funeral honor ceremonies in 1998; 1999 statistics are not yet available. Requests in 2000 are expected to continue rising as the ranks of America's 16.1 million World War II veterans

"In developing the policy, we realized the number of requests for military funeral honors was going to increase," McGinn said, "The veterans of World War II are passing away -- we're anticipating that there will be about
1,500 deaths a day."

The Department of Veterans Affairs estimates about 572,000 veterans will die in 2000. DoD anticipates family requests for funeral honors each year eventually will climb to at least 45 percent of the eligible veterans -- in 2000, that would be about 257,000 requests, McGinn said.

"Given the way we think the mission is going to expand, what we've tried to do is provide our veterans a dignified, professional ceremony and a proper farewell within the resources available," she said. "This is a total force mission, so we will rely on both the active and the reserve components. Reservists who participate will receive a $50 stipend and a point toward their retirement. They may accumulate retirement points for funeral honors duty beyond the annual cap."

DoD's new policy calls for funeral directors, rather than families, to contact the military. Military funeral honors must be requested -- they aren't provided automatically, McGinn noted.

"The funeral director would probably ask the family whether the deceased was a veteran and then discuss the option for funeral honors," she said. In this, defense officials are taking steps to ensure families and funeral directors know
how to request military honors and what the ceremony will  include.

McGinn said about 24,000 funeral directors are in line to receive DoD kits containing a directory of regional funeral honors coordinators and brochures with frequently asked questions, instructions on the proper folding of the flag
and the sequence of the ceremony. The kit also will include a compact disc of "Taps" professionally recorded during 1999 Memorial Day services at Arlington (Va.) National Cemetery.

"A live bugler is always the first choice, but finding one is always a problem," McGinn said. "There are only 500 buglers in the whole Department of Defense and they're not strategically located across the country," she added. DoD officials also are sending the "Taps" CDs to veterans service organizations and to military units that will provide funeral honors. In lieu of a military bugler or the CD, families may choose to seek a professional or volunteer musician to trumpet the poignant "Taps" farewell, McGinn said. "The bugler is supposed to be out of sight, as is the audio equipment if the CD is used," she noted. DoD plans to issue training videotapes starting early next year to units that will conduct honors ceremonies. The tapes will set a DoD standard in terms of how the basic ceremony is conducted.

McGinn said she and other DoD officials are often asked whether the basic ceremony is all any veteran can expect. She answers, "not necessarily." "The services have traditions for the provision of military funeral honors," she said. "A member who dies while on active duty receives a higher level of support in military funeral honors. The same is true of veterans who are war heroes, such as Medal of Honor recipients.

"The services, based on their traditions, may render additional elements of military funeral honors," McGinn said. "Veterans organizations that currently provide military funeral honors can work with us in accordance with the law to provide other parts of an honors ceremony such as a firing party." A DoD Web site explaining the funeral honors process is scheduled to go online Jan. 1, 2001. A toll free number, 1-877-MIL-HONR, also will be available Jan. 1 for funeral directors to coordinate ceremonies.

"We believe it is important to demonstrate the country's gratitude to those who, in times of war and peace, have faithfully defended our country," McGinn said. "We want the Department's Military Funeral Honors Program to do that for
our veterans and their families." (Paul Stone contributed to this story.)